LF Updated Food - Stat leveling guide

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

LF Updated Food - Stat leveling guide

Postby Xhodan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61773 - This guide is more or less a neat graphic that shows types of cooking recipes? But doesn't really explain the whole food/cooking system and how to level stats efficiently.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50538 - This guide is out of date and I don't know how much of it is relevant.

Anyway, if anyone would care to write a mini guide here or if there are other updated guides elsewhere I would like to look at them, thank you.
Xhodan

Re: LF Updated Food - Stat leveling guide

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Sorry. That's the "best" the community has contributed. Looks like we need to update the "help threads" listing.

Yes, we need some contributions for good, useful guides. The problem with the "eternal alpha" development is that so much changes a lot of people who do the guides get frustrated with the amount of work needed to maintain them.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Xhodan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Sorry. That's the "best" the community has contributed. Looks like we need to update the "help threads" listing.

Yes, we need some contributions for good, useful guides. The problem with the "eternal alpha" development is that so much changes a lot of people who do the guides get frustrated with the amount of work needed to maintain them.

Hm, that's understandable.
Xhodan

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Truth be told, the best luck you'll have is by manually looking up recipes of the type of fep you'd like to find on the cookbook and how hard it is to cook it, and seeing what you're capable of.

As for how the cooking system works....

The easy way to say is that it's chaotic and a matter of trial-and-error to find good foods. The ingredients you add to a meal each impact the stats of that meal in different ways, USUALLY relating to the normal effect of the meal (for example, autumn steaks made of bear meat will give a ton of +2 str/+1 str), but not always. There's no rhyme or reason to this madness either, so it's just a matter of experimenting and noting down 'good' recipes. For example, a Jotun's morsel made of walrus meat and cow milk gives a spread of stats, mainly con/wil and some int. Throwing a kvann in there as a spice suddenly fucking *flips* the entire recipe's stats to be heavily leaning on int+2 feps- but I can't find any other recipe where Kvann's do the same.

That's the best I can give you. The impact each food has sometimes has to do with the stats the food gives, and other times flips on its head and gives very different stats. Good luck!
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Xhodan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Archiplex wrote:Truth be told, the best luck you'll have is by manually looking up recipes of the type of fep you'd like to find on the cookbook and how hard it is to cook it, and seeing what you're capable of.

The easy way to say is that it's chaotic and a matter of trial-and-error to find good foods. The ingredients you add to a meal each impact the stats of that meal in different ways, USUALLY relating to the normal effect of the meal (for example, autumn steaks made of bear meat will give a ton of +2 str/+1 str), but not always. There's no rhyme or reason to this madness either, so it's just a matter of experimenting and noting down 'good' recipes. For example, a Jotun's morsel made of walrus meat and cow milk gives a spread of stats, mainly con/wil and some int. Throwing a kvann in there as a spice suddenly fucking *flips* the entire recipe's stats to be heavily leaning on int+2 feps- but I can't find any other recipe where Kvann's do the same.

That's the best I can give you. The impact each food has sometimes has to do with the stats the food gives, and other times flips on its head and gives very different stats. Good luck!

This helps a lot! Thank you, few other questions I have as related to FEP's. I know, at least I think I know that int, dex, and psi are the important ones as far as crafting goes? Would it hurt to try and level everything across the board that way I have a more rounded character or is something like that not very optimal? Secondly I wanted to ask, abilities, such as carpentry, masonry etc. Are these linked to your stats?
Xhodan

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Xhodan wrote:
Archiplex wrote:Truth be told, the best luck you'll have is by manually looking up recipes of the type of fep you'd like to find on the cookbook and how hard it is to cook it, and seeing what you're capable of.

This helps a lot! Thank you, few other questions I have as related to FEP's. I know, at least I think I know that int, dex, and psi are the important ones as far as crafting goes? Would it hurt to try and level everything across the board that way I have a more rounded character or is something like that not very optimal? Secondly I wanted to ask, abilities, such as carpentry, masonry etc. Are these linked to your stats?

Each different 'category' of things require different stats; it's usually most efficient to have a different character for each different 'job'.

For example, for smithing, strength and psy are the two 'big' stats, although some things also want dexterity.
Cooking food generally needs dexterity and perception
Int is pretty rare as far as being needed to craft, but some things need it.

Your abilities don't care about your stats as far as raising them, but you do need to keep your stat and skill both high to not softcap things. The formula for most things is the root of the number of how many stats/skills are needed for an item, for example, for smithing you generally only need the smithing skill and strength stat- which means your 'softcap' is determined by multiplying both together, and taking the square root of that. Amber Client automatically does this for you and shows you the stats/skills needed for a certain recipe, as well as what your softcap is.

In simple terms:

Raising both the stats and skills for a specific crafting type is important- having 100 smithing but only 10 strength is worse than having 35 strength and 35 smithing.

All the stats are more or less used in many different recipes, but the ones most frequently used are Strength (for smithing), Dex (for carpentry, tailoring and cooking and some pottery), Perception (Cooking mainly, but other things as well), Psy (silkmaking and basically making any 'endgame' items like jewelry). Agility and Constitution are the two completely irrelevant stats for crafting. Wil is used in a lot of recipes too, but isn't nearly as defined as the other stats.
Int is used in a mixed bag as well, often more 'early game' items like rock axes and whatnot.

You are best served making different characters for various things, rather than raising everything.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Xhodan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks again! Sweet, I got a better understanding of what I should do. Lots of work ahead :D
Xhodan

Postby Xhodan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Archiplex wrote:Each different 'category' of things require different stats; it's usually most efficient to have a different character for each different 'job'.

As per having alts, is it efficient to have alts who can perform say cooking and farming, since there's a lot of overlap? Also, I've been following this guide - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40714 which has helped immensely, not everything here is accurate I'm assuming though. I'd like to call attention too the section "Setting up camp", there's a small list where the op says survival 15 and exploration 15. How important is it to max these for foraging high quality items? Should I be worried about having an alt purely for foraging?
Xhodan

Postby Archiplex » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 am

Xhodan wrote:
Archiplex wrote:Each different 'category' of things require different stats; it's usually most efficient to have a different character for each different 'job'.

As per having alts, is it efficient to have alts who can perform say cooking and farming, since there's a lot of overlap? Also, I've been following this guide - http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 42&t=40714 which has helped immensely, not everything here is accurate I'm assuming though. I'd like to call attention too the section "Setting up camp", there's a small list where the op says survival 15 and exploration 15. How important is it to max these for foraging high quality items? Should I be worried about having an alt purely for foraging?

Yes! Some abilities have overlap, and so it's easy to have them do multiple jobs (although you will only have one source of LP on that character, so its still splitting a single stream of resources across multiple stats). Cooking and Farming is a good example of that. In the past, miner characters were often also combat characters, but since the Masonry skill was introduced, it's less common.

As for foraging: Keep in mind that that guide is very old, and although some things are still relevant, not all of it is.
Your "sight" score is Exploration*Perception, which is used to see the items on this list: http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Foraging. It also impacts how well you track scents, but that isn't super important for hermits and whatnot.
Once you are past 100*100 perc/exp (or 10k sight as is used on the wiki), there is fairly little benefit on going further, other than some forageables like cave clay and cave lanterns which continue to be found in greater quantities until around 35k sight. There is no reason to go past that for most points, unless you really need marsh-mallows and indigo caps for some reason.

For the points of foraging, it is rare to see any herb past 100q (but possible), so 100 survival is good enough for foraging, but keep in mind that survival is also important to raise as it hardcaps the quality of butchered animals. Thus, as you hunt greater beasts, its important to keep raising your survival (I've yet to see any animal past 600 quality, so that's the highest realistic amount you'll need- though for the most part, 200 survival will keep you fine for most of the game)

As survival caps the quality of animals upon killing, any such 'survival' character will need to be your combat character, too- so a dedicated 'hunter' is important. A dedicated 'forager', not so much, as the amount of skill you need to reach maximum effectiveness is low.

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Return to How do I?