I keep getting cave ins while under a support

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

I keep getting cave ins while under a support

Postby Thatguyintheback100 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I've been hardcore mining these past couple of days but minutes before writing this i've got my third cave in while under a support. I dont know what keeps causing it since im for SURE under the support when i mine the tile that causes the cave in. Any help is appreciated
Thatguyintheback100

Re: I keep getting cave ins while under a support

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:55 pm

What kind of support are you using? Tiles are only supported if the center coordinate is within the radius of the support. The visual guide in game is useful, but not exact. RoB wiki shows visuals of each support with the "safe" tiles marked. (Note: "Mine Beam" does not have this, but not many people use them regularly due to the cost. The stone column is most popular due to the amount of trash stone dug out of any given day mining.) Also note that Tower caps have a slightly smaller radius than the base mining support, which throws the safe area off significantly.

Also, pay attention to the cave dust. While it's fastest to just mine it all, it's safest to make sure to avoid the "damage" tiles and only mine out the "0 spaces." I quit blowing it all out when I got tired of forgetting to keep an eye on the nearby supports and broke a few that way.

If you continue having problems, a screenshot of the area could help demonstrate what's going on.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Thatguyintheback100 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 am

MagicManICT wrote:What kind of support are you using? Tiles are only supported if the center coordinate is within the radius of the support. The visual guide in game is useful, but not exact. RoB wiki shows visuals of each support with the "safe" tiles marked. (Note: "Mine Beam" does not have this, but not many people use them regularly due to the cost. The stone column is most popular due to the amount of trash stone dug out of any given day mining.) Also note that Tower caps have a slightly smaller radius than the base mining support, which throws the safe area off significantly.

Also, pay attention to the cave dust. While it's fastest to just mine it all, it's safest to make sure to avoid the "damage" tiles and only mine out the "0 spaces." I quit blowing it all out when I got tired of forgetting to keep an eye on the nearby supports and broke a few that way.

If you continue having problems, a screenshot of the area could help demonstrate what's going on.

My village mate mentioned my wooden beams needing repairs but i couldnt figure out why they would since they werent more than a week old. is it a new feature that wooden beams no longer do their job?
Thatguyintheback100

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 am

Thatguyintheback100 wrote:My village mate mentioned my wooden beams needing repairs but i couldnt figure out why they would since they werent more than a week old. is it a new feature that wooden beams no longer do their job?

As you mine and hit collapsing tiles, they deal damage to the supports rather than causing a cave-in. They're doing their job. I'd have to check to see exactly when that change was added in. If you've not played in a while, it is definitely a change compared to how supports used to work.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that Mine Supports taking damage when preventing cave-in was added in w11 reset.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby uncleseano » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm

I was a few levels down and a cave triggered when I'd just mined about 3 tiles from the outer ring if a wooden support. Nearly killed my miner & combat lad.

Guess it makes sense that the support was getting damaged. I'll check them next time to see if they need repairs going forward
uncleseano

Postby SinJin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:11 am

Thatguyintheback100 wrote:
My village mate mentioned my wooden beams needing repairs but i couldnt figure out why they would since they werent more than a week old. is it a new feature that wooden beams no longer do their job?

100% that your support(s) simply took too many damage hits and failed from the cave-in tiles you were mining. You need to watch each support that you're currently under while mining. Sometimes they don't even last 5 minutes. It's rare but happens.

* A mine support will suffer some damage each time it prevents a cave-in. Eventually, it will fail and cave-in on you. Every cave-in that was prevented by the failed support will fall.
SinJin

Postby Popo13 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:37 pm

SinJin wrote:
Thatguyintheback100 wrote:

100% that your support(s) simply took too many damage hits and failed from the cave-in tiles you were mining. You need to watch each support that you're currently under while mining. Sometimes they don't even last 5 minutes. It's rare but happens.

* A mine support will suffer some damage each time it prevents a cave-in. Eventually, it will fail and cave-in on you. Every cave-in that was prevented by the failed support will fall.

It seems likely that this is the case, as the OP was unaware of the mechanics.

However, this seems like a good place to bump this issue:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=64848&p=836573&hilit=cave+in+under+support&sid=c91842ce1c55d7702cea3aa0126b142c#p836573

If you mine a tile that is in range of 2 supports concurrently, one of which could be brand new while the other is 1 cave-in short of breaking, it seems that the brand new support does NOT necessarily prevent the older one from taking the damage and collapsing.
Popo13

Return to How do I?