Cachalots

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Cachalots

Postby Lyz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:59 am

How do I find cachalots and what is the best way to combat them?

I've been sailing the high seas a lot but I've never seen one before. As for combat, I assume I need to have lots of tarsticks to repair the knarr as I'm fighting?
Lyz

Re: Cachalots

Postby vatas » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:29 am

You need high quality knarr or two that can move faster than the whale, not sure about the exact quality but I played with people that had one in about 1-2 months of w11 launch. Back-up Knarr to look for whale and during fight to stay out of it and to pick up survivors if the whale ends up breaking the fighting knarrs.

I didn't fight the whales myself but I've heard that they have ranged attack too (squirt water from blowhole.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 am

Whale speed is varied, and there's always a chance it'll be faster than your knarr irrespective of quality.

Cheese strat if knarr is faster: drag it to shore > poke it until it flees > opk to 100 > smack it until it dies or stops fleeing > repeat

Cheese strat is knarr is slower: drag it to shore > poke it until it flees > reaggro > repeat until dead

Non cheese: get out of your boat > smack it until you're about to drown > get in your boat > drink > repeat until flee > OPK and kill if knarr is faster, deaggro and reaggro if it's slower

Note that quell beast works on whales, but it will reaggro almost instantly if other hearthlings are nearby(potentially old info)
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Lyz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am

OPK?
Also, is a 200q knarr fast enough?
Lyz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:52 am

Lyz wrote:OPK?

Opportunity Knocks

Lyz wrote:Also, is a 200q knarr fast enough?

KnarrQ doesn't really matter if you're going to cheese it. Just nudge it towards shore with your knarr, and aggro once it's close enough your knarr will survive. How long your knarr lasts seems pretty random, but I've had whales get my knarr to <25% in ~30 seconds.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:08 am

Also I'm not sure but wasn't it that you can only repair Knarr when it's in shallow water?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:32 pm

vatas wrote:Also I'm not sure but wasn't it that you can only repair Knarr when it's in shallow water?

Yes. That was a change this world with the introduction of oceans.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?