Returning player with some questions..

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Returning player with some questions..

Postby ItsRoland » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

I briefly played this game a few years back, before the update that changed the graphics and whatnot. I recently remembered it and got the itch to come back, which is when I saw all the changes.

I guess my first question is, is this game worth coming back to with a few friends? Was considering showing it to people I know that would really enjoy the kind of game I remember this being.

My next question is, is the legacy version of the game worth getting into? Even if it's 'dead' so to speak, that doesn't really bother me. TBH, the current way the game looks is a big turn off for me. That's just my personal opinion, and is likely an unpopular one. I might be able to look past it, hence my first question, but I would much prefer playing the legacy version if it's still even being supported. I already read up on how (if I'm not mistaken) you have to pay $15 to play the legacy version and how to access it.

I know you should judge games like this on the gameplay and not the graphics and all that stuff, I just really enjoyed the way the game used to look. I'm currently looking into the new version more to see if I can't look past it once I see more gameplay.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
ItsRoland

Re: Returning player with some questions..

Postby sMartins » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 pm

I highly recommend the current version.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Re: Returning player with some questions..

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 pm

ItsRoland wrote: is this game worth coming back to with a few friends?

Opinions are going to vary, of course, but I've had a lot of fun with the current version. Some caveats: Combat is significantly different from legacy. The overall "feel" of the game is a good bit different, but not so far off as to seem like another game. Also, there seems to be some technical issues with Java and OpenGL, and significantly older hardware (more than about 5-6 years) may have issues that make the game unplayable--mostly Intel and integrated graphics, though slow processors may suffer frame rate death.

ItsRoland wrote: is the legacy version of the game worth getting into?

It's the same world as from 2013. There might be a few dozen people logging in on a regular basis. I don't have an opinion on it, so just going to offer the facts as I know them.

ItsRoland wrote:I know you should judge games like this on the gameplay and not the graphics and all that stuff, I just really enjoyed the way the game used to look. I'm currently looking into the new version more to see if I can't look past it once I see more gameplay.

The graphics and interface changes do take some getting used to. The human models are... I'll just say "abstract folk art style." ;) The rest of the game, I think, looks great.

If you have questions, ask. The wiki is still the same place--http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?