What happens when you hearth on another continent?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

What happens when you hearth on another continent?

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:58 pm

I want to build a snekkja so I can travel. However, I don't want to lose my boat by hearthing while my boat is on a different continent. I can foresee this happening if, say, I go foraging and fill up my inventory and then think,

"You know what would make this go faster?"
a>h>h
"oh wait my boat nooooooooo"

So, what happens when I hearth from another continent? Is the only way to prevent losing your boat to destroy your hearth fire?

I don't have time or rather resources to make a knarr dock. I lack the necessary string and tar.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Re: What happens when you hearth on another continent?

Postby TurtleHermit » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Build a dock and dock your vehicle there so You can travel back with it. In any other case if You hearth, vehicle is left from where You ported.
TurtleHermit

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Without a dock you will simply have to sail the ship back home.

(I'm not sure if snekkja counts as ship but to me it would make sense to call dugout and rowboat "boats" while snekkja and knarr are "ships" because only latter can cross oceans.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 am

Just wondering (as Ship-less hearthling).
Is taking a "Darn (FacePalm), I forget to port the ship home again" alt along for the ride: not possible, to complicated, or ... not applicable as true in-game solution. ?

... “A ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.” ...
boat+vs+ship ;)
mvgulik

Postby Zachary09 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:05 am

On custom clients you get an audible "click" warning stating that if you port to hearthfire in this vehicle, it will be left behind. It's a custom client feature however. Amber has it. If you're afraid to lose your boat this way and feel like a warning sound would make you lose your boat far less times, this client may be for you.
Zachary09

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:38 am

mvgulik wrote:Just wondering (as Ship-less hearthling).
Is taking a "Darn (FacePalm), I forget to port the ship home again" alt along for the ride: not possible, to complicated, or ... not applicable as true in-game solution. ?

... “A ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.” ...
boat+vs+ship ;)

That's probably a good idea, and you're the only one who actually addressed the question I had.

I don't like having bots, tho. But... much better than losing my boat.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby solexi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 am

You don't need to build dock, just use your neighbor's one. All you need to do is find a dock near ur place with only one ship.
cyrus9586 wrote:Who knows who you really just met. He acts like he is nice and gave you a BUNCH of q200 clothes! He can't be bad...Later that night "Your New Buddy" meets with his village and says he found some fresh newbies to mess with when they get bored and that he has a way in. Oh, you thought those clothes were gifts? Nah just "Loaners"
solexi

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:19 pm

GenghisKhan44 wrote:I don't like having bots, tho. But... much better than losing my boat.

It's not a bot. It's a character on another account. If you're going to have a village, you should already have another account simply to use it to manage permissions so that you don't lose the lawspeaker just in case something happens. You can also use the same account, but different character, as a key manager.

I can understand those reluctant to even use alts as it kind of defeats the ideal of a "virtual me" in an RPG character, but there are a few shortcomings that need to be addressed, and it's the only way to address them at this time.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?