Animal dead in water

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Animal dead in water

Postby kmarad » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Hoy,

I've been sniping boars and badgers from the safety of my boat.
But when they die, I can't get them from shallow waters :

If there is a single animal pixel over the water I can click it and lift them, but when they are entirely under water I can't find a way to pick them up.

I've tried to take them by swimming, and things like that, without success. Are there any tricks ?
kmarad

Re: Animal dead in water

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:48 pm

You can use Lift on its minimap icon to pick it up. :idea:
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby kmarad » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:You can use Lift on its minimap icon to pick it up. :idea:

I love you
kmarad

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:32 pm

I may be making stuff up, but managing to click parts of the animal above water might also work.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Actuarius » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:00 pm

kmarad wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:You can use Lift on its minimap icon to pick it up. :idea:

I love you

I love you too.

PS: Animal sniping from boat is such a cheat......
Nerd-Rage: "So, OP signed in WEEK ago, and says all other players who played hard for like a YEAR should be dead, so he can rule this world by his own.
Good job, sir!" --- Enjoyment_2
Actuarius

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:19 am

vatas wrote:I may be making stuff up, but managing to click parts of the animal above water might also work.

If you can zoom in close enough and click on something actually above the water, it might. That's picking out pixels that you might not be seeing correctly, though, as far as the picking algorithms go.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:19 pm

A shame that loftar was unable to find an hour to make animal corpses float in shallows.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Granger wrote:A shame that loftar was unable to find an hour to make animal corpses float in shallows.

You mean like it used to be before everyone was complaining about "my suspension of disbelief" when animals walked on water?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 pm

No.

Corpses should float in shallows. Simply put in pseudocode
Code: Select all
while (animal dead AND more than 80% of mesh below water surface) {float corpse up a little}

This would make bigger creatures still lie dead on the (below water) ground (which would be no problem as they'll be big enough to stick out) but float any smaller ones so they're clickable.

But yea, you're right... it's better to specify requests as exact as possible to reduce the chance that we end up with yet another braindead band-aid.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:18 am

Granger wrote:No.

Corpses should float in shallows. Simply put in pseudocode
while (animal dead AND more than 80% of mesh below water surface) {float corpse up a little}

This would make bigger creatures still lie dead on the (below water) ground (which would be no problem as they'll be big enough to stick out) but float any smaller ones so they're clickable.

But yea, you're right... it's better to specify requests as exact as possible to reduce the chance that we end up with yet another braindead band-aid.

A couple clients already did this, just check the tile underneath gobs and move their Z axis up 5 units. Wasn't even a hard fix, think it's like 1 line.

Edit: was wrong, it's 4 lines.

if(type == Type.ANIMAL || type == Type.DANGANIMAL) {
          Tiler tl = glob.map.tiler(glob.map.gettile_safe(rc.floor(MCache.tilesz)));
          if (tl instanceof WaterTile)
         c.z += 5;
      }
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Next

Return to How do I?