Beehive Skep Science

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Beehive Skep Science

Postby hazzor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm

So I know that wax generation mechanics are pretty fuzzy but I'm wondering if anyone's done some science recently enough to know a few bits...

According to RoB skeps can store 50 charges which are used when a crop within their radius advances a stage, which regenerate at a rate of 6 charges per hour. I tend to call them pollination charges because that just seems right to me...

Carrots reportedly can grow through all five stages as quickly as 16 hours, meaning somewhere between 3 and 4 hours per stage (assuming the stages are of equal length I dunno dog).

In 3 hours a single skep would generate only 18 pollination charges. I feel like I have to be misunderstanding something because surely skep can support more than 18 carrot crops?

Just like literally everyone else I'm aiming for maximal wax production so I appreciate anyone elses knowledge on the subject.
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Re: Beehive Skep Science

Postby Sevenless » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:29 pm

Sounds about right. I don't think people realize just how many skeps you need to get maximal production out of crops. For me at least, maximizing wax production is an issue of not enough skeps, not what crops go around them.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby hazzor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:24 pm

Sevenless wrote:Sounds about right. I don't think people realize just how many skeps you need to get maximal production out of crops. For me at least, maximizing wax production is an issue of not enough skeps, not what crops go around them.

yeah... I have about 6 skeps right now serving almost a thousand crops...

wild beehives here I come, the joys.
hazzor

Postby Sevenless » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm

You can really tell how much impact the hives have here for sure. (Hive at the top was placed after their last growth cycle started)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby hazzor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:18 am

Sevenless wrote:You can really tell how much impact the hives have here for sure. (Hive at the top was placed after their last growth cycle started)

I feel like I even see this happening a lot, straight lines out from the skeps.

I went and gathered larvae last night and made another 6 skeps to go in my carrot crop and every one of them had wax this morning so for sure you can run way more of them than you typically see being used.
hazzor

Return to How do I?