Hunting "big" animals for leather seems less efficient

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Hunting "big" animals for leather seems less efficient

Postby ncksol » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 pm

So I am trying to figure out whether this is by design, or am I missing some trick cause I am newbie. Say I need to stock up on leather. If I go and hunt small animals (moles, squirrels, rabbits), I can put quite a lot of corpses of those dead critters into my backpack, which will result in reasonable loot of skin/fur (plus meat, bones etc). If I go hunt some bigger animals, like fox or badger, I can't put those into my backpack, I have to flay them on the spot and then basically discard all the byproducts apart from the skin. So as far as I can see it, if you discard byproducts of big animals hunt you get just as much skin as when hunting small animals. But with small animals you also get byproducts - hence hunting small ones is more efficient.
Is there some flaw in my logic? Cause it seems like the bigger the risk (hunting bigger animals) the bigger the reward should be, which is not the case here.
ncksol

Re: Hunting "big" animals for leather seems less efficient

Postby Sevenless » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Rowboat > 2 corpses per hearth home
Snekkja > 16 corpses per hearth to dock
Knarr > 64 corpses per hearth to dock

By the time you have a snekkja or knarr, killing liftable animals can be quite quick. I can usually take down a bear in <60 seconds.

For now though, a rowboat would be a good start. A couple liftable corpses and whatever you want to also flay/put in your inventory.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby azrid » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm

doing it wrong bois
you get a knarr filled with wheelbarrows
you can get 1920 large hides with one hunting trip in your storage

or just use a rowboat with wheelbarrows for 60 large hides to tp home
azrid

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:44 pm

or just teleport the hides! haHA joking...
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Zyean » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:02 pm

If you care about just having leather period, it doesn't really matter what you get as long as it has a hide, it's typically quicker though to find and kill say 10 boars for 40 patches of leather than 40 squirrels or rabbits though

If you care about quality of your hides and leather than you 100% need to hunt more dangerous animals (moose, bears, mammoths) as they reach qualities much higher than the less dangerous ones
Zyean

Postby Tamalak » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 pm

ncksol wrote:Is there some flaw in my logic? Cause it seems like the bigger the risk (hunting bigger animals) the bigger the reward should be, which is not the case here.

If

1. You don't have a big knarr, or
2. You don't have a lot of combat strength, or
3. All you care about is the quantity of leather and NOT the quality,

Then your logic is some degree of correct. If I'm still a spurcecap and trying to get my first leather items, I think I'd follow your tactic of running around grabbing squirrels and hedgehogs.

But storage space is pretty efficient for large animals once you get large watercraft (or horse and cart for the land version), the danger fades as you get more powerful, the quality is MUCH better of the product, and then there's all the other rewards of the larger animals.. high quality bones, useful meat, etc.

So in conclusion OP you're not entirely wrong but you're focused on a particular scenario.
Tamalak

Postby ncksol » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Tamalak wrote:
ncksol wrote:Is there some flaw in my logic? Cause it seems like the bigger the risk (hunting bigger animals) the bigger the reward should be, which is not the case here.

If

1. You don't have a big knarr, or
2. You don't have a lot of combat strength, or
3. All you care about is the quantity of leather and NOT the quality,

Then your logic is some degree of correct. If I'm still a spurcecap and trying to get my first leather items, I think I'd follow your tactic of running around grabbing squirrels and hedgehogs.

But storage space is pretty efficient for large animals once you get large watercraft (or horse and cart for the land version), the danger fades as you get more powerful, the quality is MUCH better of the product, and then there's all the other rewards of the larger animals.. high quality bones, useful meat, etc.

So in conclusion OP you're not entirely wrong but you're focused on a particular scenario.

OK thanks. This does make sense. If quantity is important (like it is in the beginning) than small animals are better. But later you sacrifice quantity for quality when hunting big ones.
ncksol

Return to How do I?