Ideal amount of characters for a hermit

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Ideal amount of characters for a hermit

Postby TheRussianB » Sun May 10, 2020 8:22 pm

I've been playing alone on and off since the world started and now with summer break coming soon, I'm trying to optimize how I play. Currently I have a main character that I use for exploration, fighting, foraging, and mining, and I have a second character for farming. The intention was for the farming character to handle most of the crafting, but I've been lazy about developing him so I've been doing it on my main too. I haven't made it too far in this game so all my stuff is pretty low q so it doesn't matter too much.

My question is, how many characters do you guys think is ideal for a one-man village/settlement? Should I have a separate mining/energy slut character? What skills and attributes should each character focus?
TheRussianB

Re: Ideal amount of characters for a hermit

Postby Baldarich » Sun May 10, 2020 8:25 pm

I'd say four-five, hunter/explorer (str,agi,con,perc,ua,mc,exploration,survival), miner/potter (str,perc,dex,smithing,masonry,farming), crafter/cook/tailor (perc,cha,dex,will,psy,sewing,carpentry,survival,lore), farmer (farming,will), slave (nothing lul)

Idk if im 100% correct on every character or missed any stat on any character, if i am/did then someone correct me pls ty
Last edited by Baldarich on Sun May 10, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teleskop wrote:if the chance to win a lottery is 1 to 1 000 000 it doesnt mean im any closer to winning after buying 1 000 000 tickets
Baldarich

Postby TheRussianB » Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 pm

Baldarich wrote:I'd say four, fighter/hunter, miner, cook/crafter and slave

Would the miner just be a Strength character or are there other stats to increase? Also, should survival skill be increased on both fighter/hunter and cook/crafter, or just fighter/hunter?

Thanks for the response!
TheRussianB

Postby Baldarich » Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 pm

TheRussianB wrote:
Baldarich wrote:I'd say four, fighter/hunter, miner, cook/crafter and slave

Would the miner just be a Strength character or are there other stats to increase? Also, should survival skill be increased on both fighter/hunter and cook/crafter, or just fighter/hunter?

Thanks for the response!

Just edited my response a bit, if you're going to use your miner primarily for mining ore and maybe metalworking then str, masonry and smithing. There are recipes that are softcapped by a stat that may be specialized for a miner with a stat that is primarily used by a farmer or a cook so you never know if you might need survival or farming on every character to get the highest possible q of the item you're crafting but generally speaking if you want specialized characters go with the obvious attributes with obvious abilities for the specialized character you're making.

Np ;)
Teleskop wrote:if the chance to win a lottery is 1 to 1 000 000 it doesnt mean im any closer to winning after buying 1 000 000 tickets
Baldarich

Postby bitza » Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 pm

2. farmer/crafter and hunter/miner (and whatever slave alts for digging, tree chopping etc). fuck having to manage exp and study desks for 4+ characters
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby EDDIEWRECKER » Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 am

Why not just use 1 character?
EDDIEWRECKER

Postby MagicManICT » Tue May 12, 2020 3:20 am

EDDIEWRECKER wrote:Why not just use 1 character?

Risk vs reward. While credos can help make up for the need to spread out stats, they become increasingly difficult to complete the more you do them. Also, the risk of character death this world is real. Even without other players, you can drown or get mauled by a large animal--boars, bears, mammoths, trolls, wolves, lynx just off the top of my head can kill.

As far as numbers. if you are going to have more than one, you need at least one separate account with a "lawspeaker"/manager character to keep track of at least your characters, act as lawspeaker or claim manager, and probably work as the keymaster.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Glorthan » Tue May 12, 2020 3:36 am

bitza wrote:2. farmer/crafter and hunter/miner (and whatever slave alts for digging, tree chopping etc). fuck having to manage exp and study desks for 4+ characters

And your miner will have to deal with slime and boreworm spawns, so bundling it with combat stats (hunter) is a good idea.

Farmer also needs stats like dex, masonry for things, there's no reason to separate this from cook (which requires farmer credo, lol). Not to mention farmer doesn't need will? Crafter might, some smithing recipes do. Just ignore Baldarich's post.

You can always add skills if you decide you need them for specific crafts anyway.
Glorthan

Postby EDDIEWRECKER » Wed May 13, 2020 1:13 am

MagicManICT wrote:
EDDIEWRECKER wrote:Why not just use 1 character?

Risk vs reward. While credos can help make up for the need to spread out stats, they become increasingly difficult to complete the more you do them. Also, the risk of character death this world is real. Even without other players, you can drown or get mauled by a large animal--boars, bears, mammoths, trolls, wolves, lynx just off the top of my head can kill.

As far as numbers. if you are going to have more than one, you need at least one separate account with a "lawspeaker"/manager character to keep track of at least your characters, act as lawspeaker or claim manager, and probably work as the keymaster.

Yeah got it thanks!
EDDIEWRECKER

Return to How do I?