anyone been through herder yet?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

anyone been through herder yet?

Postby hazzor » Sun May 17, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm starting herder, it's starting to look like I'll kill myself before I finish it, I've done 10 quests and 6 have been tether animals to distant questgivers.

is it really just nomad but with the added MASSIVE ballache of doing the quests with an animal or have I just been unlucky so far?
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Re: anyone been through herder yet?

Postby Headchef » Sun May 17, 2020 3:14 pm

In general if you want to get an idea of what credo can give as tasks just abandon a few hundred times on first level first quest and I'm sure you'll see options possible that can make you determine whether things are worth it later on.

If not doing this then you end up with questions like this, other than that can't help because no idea about herder probability of certain tasks.
Headchef

Postby hazzor » Sun May 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Headchef wrote:In general if you want to get an idea of what credo can give as tasks just abandon a few hundred times on first level first quest and I'm sure you'll see options possible that can make you determine whether things are worth it later on.

If not doing this then you end up with questions like this, other than that can't help because no idea about herder probability of certain tasks.

yeah that's a smart idea, I was considering taking up herder again in winter once it's easier but I'll run through a load that way first to get a better idea of the distribution
hazzor

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Last I did herder it didn't really give far questgivers.
Are you sure they're distant, or did you just read that on the wiki and abandon before checking?
Also, if they are distant, snek to the tree, build a beacon, dock on the fresh alt, pick up an animal, hearth on alt, tether on main, then hearth on main.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Headchef » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Oh also something worth to note about questing that works the same regardless if it's herder or not

If you have credo quest and it ask you to study something, and you're travelling somewhere far away and it just so happens that the study is over, if the quests appoints you to bring a taproot to a questgiver or whatever example you want to imagine, it will choose a questgiver always dependant on your current location rather than where your hearthfire is located.

I suggested to jorb in pm to change it to dependant on hearthfire but currently it is not the case, so if you complete it this way you may have accidentally gotten far away quest due to that.
Headchef

Postby hazzor » Wed May 20, 2020 7:50 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Last I did herder it didn't really give far questgivers.
Are you sure they're distant, or did you just read that on the wiki and abandon before checking?
Also, if they are distant, snek to the tree, build a beacon, dock on the fresh alt, pick up an animal, hearth on alt, tether on main, then hearth on main.

yeah they're varied but the majority of mine have been pretty serious journeys (especially with a leashed fucking pig), solid idea with the beacon though, that'll be handy if I really have to do them.

I've been making some back and forth progress abandoning any tether quests that aren't within 1K tiles, I wish I had actually been recording the distribution of quests but I'm at L2 2/12 now after probably having completed about 25 quests total... could be bad luck but it always feels like I get a string of 3-5 tether quests rather than one at a time

This whole annoyance stems from having sort of limited playing time at the moment thanks to long hours during the pandemic, ordinarily I'd be more willing to just deal with it.
Last edited by hazzor on Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hazzor

Postby hazzor » Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Headchef wrote:Oh also something worth to note about questing that works the same regardless if it's herder or not

If you have credo quest and it ask you to study something, and you're travelling somewhere far away and it just so happens that the study is over, if the quests appoints you to bring a taproot to a questgiver or whatever example you want to imagine, it will choose a questgiver always dependant on your current location rather than where your hearthfire is located.

I suggested to jorb in pm to change it to dependant on hearthfire but currently it is not the case, so if you complete it this way you may have accidentally gotten far away quest due to that.

nah these are all quests started from home, aside from maybe one or two that came immediately after another tether quest, not much you could do about that, I generally agree they should be hearthfire based.
hazzor

Return to How do I?