Forum search engine - OR vs '|'

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Forum search engine - OR vs '|'

Postby mvgulik » Sat May 30, 2020 8:10 am

Each search engine has its own, usually under-documented, features. which can be a real drag.
Like in:
> "Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found."
Sure ...
"skeleton* (bear* | mouflon*)" - Failed. (due to single space after '|')
"skeleton* (bear* |mouflon*)" - Works.
"skeleton* (bear*| mouflon*)" - Failed. (due to missing leading space before '|')

Search doc would be better if it would specify "OR" instead of '|'.
"skeleton* (bear* OR mouflon*)" - Works. (single-space-only after 'OR' being mandatory ... of course)

:roll:
mvgulik

Re: Forum search engine - OR vs '|'

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 31, 2020 7:05 am

phpBB has poor documentation, anyway, unless you're a Linux guru, and then it should look familiar enough to get you going.

Let's not forget "bat" can't even be found because word length >= 4. That goes for using wildcard characters, too--beet* works, but bee* does not.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 31, 2020 11:29 am

MagicManICT wrote:That goes for using wildcard characters, too--beet* works, but bee* does not.

> , too--beet*
???

Oddly enough, "bee*" actually works. Interesting 8-)

---

Extended search test for "bat"
Next limit in play: Max search words == 10. darn - lol.
(This of course only shows posts that contain "bat" AND that don't contain any of the negative search terms. Which is not the same as only looking for "bat", if that where possible with forum own search)
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Hmph... last time I tried searching for a post with a 3 character + wildcard, it failed to return anything.

Also, will remember to include apostrophes or quotation marks to delineate the specific terms used.

(not sure why this is in C&I as it's a forum software issue that potentially can be fixed by the admin, but is more specificly a "software package" issue--needs to be upgraded, bug fixed by the dev, or different software used.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 pm

MagicManICT wrote:not sure why this is in C&I

Multiple personal reasons/excuses. None being of any significance.
Feel free to move this topic to an other forum section, if you feel that's better.
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 31, 2020 7:22 pm

mvgulik wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:not sure why this is in C&I

Multiple personal reasons/excuses. None being of any significance.
Feel free to move this topic to an other forum section, if you feel that's better.

Moved it to How Do I? for now as the goal seems to be as much about figuring out how to "best use the built-in search functions."
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:02 am

Roger.
Yea, that makes more sense for this topic.
(relaxing personal "game only" view on "How to" section)
mvgulik

Postby AtoB » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Let's not forget "bat" can't even be found because word length >= 4.

Which is a setting that can be changed, or circumvented using a white list of words that describe game objects.
AtoB

Return to How do I?