How do I progress through mine levels?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I progress through mine levels?

Postby AlexNT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:53 pm

So I've been slowly digging my way through mine levels, and every new level, no matter how much I prepare, essentially the same situation repeats:

"You don't even manage to scratch that rock".

Now, I've been able to solve that one way or another up until now, but I'm looking for more of a general guidance on what is typically required for higher mine levels (e.g. is Potter necessary), and what my expectations should be, if I intend to progress solo.

So, currently: I hit lvl5, Str 205, pick q95. Cannot mine shit: found a chalcopyrite vein and "cannot scratch" it. On level 4 I have access to ~q150 (with miner and realm bonus applied) ore and q110 coal. My trees are at ~q52, my clay is q51 (so I cannot improve my pick by much). I got Quarryman and Miner.

What is the next step to progress mining from this point?
AlexNT

Re: How do I progress through mine levels?

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 pm

Better pick at this point. q95 is seriously holding you back as your ability to dig through rock is based on the square root of the product of the tool and strength (aka geometric mean--sqrt ( str * tool) ).

As far as being able to predict how well you can mine... it's a bit of a crap shoot. There are areas on level 5 you only need about half that strength with a q100ish pick... not frequent, but I've seen them.

Potter may be helpful if it allows you to get better quality clay to increase your kilns and smelters (better coal = better bars of metal = better anvil and hammer = better tools overall). You can try to spiral metal some, too, to help push your tools up higher, but it's an expensive operation and will waste a lot of iron in the process. Look at your tree qualities for the quality of wood you're making picks from.

Overall, it's probably easier to trade for a decent pick, but that's up to you.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby AlexNT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:45 pm

I should have mentioned it clearer: the goal is doing it "solo".

As in, there are folks, that did this at the beginning of the world, before any markets were established. So I want to "follow in their steps", so to speak (clearly, it's going to take me more time, but speed is secondary to finding the right strategy). Assume my q95 pick is already the highest I could get from the market.

So right now I have no quick ways of improving my pick quality, so I'm looking for pointers before I commit to a lengthy project. The options I'm aware of:

1) Push trees as high as I can (q51 clay, q80 soil).

2) Push bricks/smelters as high as I can with my q51 clay.

3) Get the Potter for potter's clay (then do 1,2).

4) Search lvl4 for higher q ore/coal (currently I have 150/110 respectively, which smelts to q115 metal, which results in ~q100 tools with my q51 trees).

5) Dig another hole into lvl5 in hopes for a softer spot (and look for higher q ore).

6) Something else I'm missing?

I don't have enough experience at this stage of digging to pick the best option here, hence my question to the more experienced folks: what would you do in this situation, assuming you couldn't trade for higher quality anything (pick, seeds, bones, clay).

Again, the goal is not to dig deeper at any cost (for that I can get a q200 pick at a market), the goal is to understand the early game strategy for going deeper.
Last edited by AlexNT on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexNT

Postby azrid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:48 pm

get more base str and get a good str gilding set
tailor helps a lot
azrid

Postby AlexNT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 pm

azrid wrote:get more base str and get a good str gilding set
tailor helps a lot

How much str would you go for around lvl5 (currently at 205 STR with set)?
AlexNT

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 am

For what it's worth, the people that pushed past level 5 within the first couple of weeks of the world were doing it as a group with a focus on pushing miner strength up and foragers sourcing as much quality clay as possible. They've had months to get to the best quality ores in their area. Going at it solo is possible, just don't expect it to be fast. Keep going the route you're going and you'll get there. Just note that "solo" isn't practical. Trading (or grouping up) is almost mandatory if you want to push quality hard.

Otherwise, you have the right idea. You're not missing any of the main points of progression.

I will mention this: The key to good industry is clay, namely bone clay. Try to find some really great quality feldspar and focus on getting a kiln made out of bone clay. Potter's clay is seen as a waste of time right now as the Potter's Wheel (and other clay types) usually screws your quality up compared to the quality of the bone clay. With just a q60 kiln (q60 ball or acre clay usually isn't hard to find... or at least grey clay) and some higher quality bones (q200ish), you can get a q70-90 kiln. This more depends on the quality of fuel you have when you make the bone ash and your current kiln that you fire it in. This will be a bigger boon to you than any other industry improvements as it will immediately improve brick quality (ovens, smelters, etc), gardening and trees (pots), which then improves metal, fuel, food, etc.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby AlexNT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 am

I see, thank you for the info. So it seems like the piece of the puzzle I was missing was: "either raid Ant dungeons and hope for high q tree seeds, or bot Clay Pits since the start of the World, so that you don't get stalled on tree quality past ball clay".

I'll check if I still have some wiggle room with rising STR or digging lvl4, but if bone clay ends up being the only way to progress, I'll probably have to give up on the whole thing. Cave clay is ridiculously rare (I don't think I ever got more than 20 in a single world), and pit clay is a localized resource (aka "forget it exists if you're not a botter or have a village on top of it").

Tbh, this clay bottleneck has always felt somewhat arbitrary and frustrating, but it's been there for as long as I remember, so I guess that's how it's intended.
AlexNT

Postby CryCryBaby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:26 am

AlexNT wrote:So, currently: I hit lvl5, Str 205, pick q95.

I can say that with 520 str and 293ql pickaxe at level 5, I find too strong sections for me.
With your stats, digging mine level 5 will be a pain in the ass.
The life of a hermit is rather complicated, and the statistics that I received were obtained by the groups a month after the start of the world. I can advise you to eat cheese.
AlexNT wrote:I'll check if I still have some wiggle room with rising STR or digging lvl4, but if bone clay ends up being the only way to progress, I'll probably have to give up on the whole thing.

You can always dig up silver and improve your pickaxe with the help of the market, or use the public kiln or ore smelter in the market.

CryCryBaby

Postby AlexNT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:10 am

CryCryBaby wrote:I can say that with 520 str and 293ql pickaxe at level 5, I find too strong sections for me.

This piece is useful reference, thank you.

As for the silver:

I'm not looking to race anyone. I'm not looking to dig to a certain depth. I'm looking for optimal strategy, for when market is not available.

Actually, in the course of this discussion I realized, that my question boils down to this: at what point (what mine lvl), typically, do bone clay and iron spiraling become the best way to progress mining; and at what mine level (if ever) do they become mandatory.
AlexNT

Postby CryCryBaby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:35 am

AlexNT wrote:Actually, in the course of this discussion I realized, that my question boils down to this: at what point (what mine lvl), typically, do bone clay and iron spiraling become the best way to progress mining; and at what mine level (if ever) do they become mandatory.

I would say level 3 and below are highly desirable. This is in the presence of cheese and eating it regularly.
At level 5 and below become mandatory.
This is under conditions when you do not have access or desire to trade in the market.
CryCryBaby

Next

Return to How do I?