In the options menu performance vs latency????

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

In the options menu performance vs latency????

Postby donatas081294 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:10 pm

I am confused on the menu option on the whole better performance worse latency and vice versa.
Because betetr performance would be no lags and no more character walking in 1 spot for couple of secodns or glitching, but latency is also ping which causes the lags. so I am bit confused, which should I go for?
donatas081294

Re: In the options menu performance vs latency????

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:42 am

You're going to have to play with each of the options to see which one is preferable to you. Much will depend on what kind of hardware you have, background tasks running, bandwidth, and server relay times.

Latency, as is typical from a programming/engineering discussion, will refer to the time it takes to access data across the internet. When referring to hardware, it is usually specifically stated as the device latency--graphics latency, CPU latency--or generally as hardware latency. Of course, hardware performance can have an effect on the latency on the network if the hardware is performing poorly. The general public has lumped it all together frequently because it can be difficult at times to distinguish between the various forms of latency if you don't know what you're looking for to troubleshoot the problem (even professionals can have issues pinpointing the problem).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?