Issue with Combat Interface

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Issue with Combat Interface

Postby Xnodas » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:23 pm

I am not able to see a combat interface at all when attacking a fox or the like and are unable to attack them. I cannot find a reason for this and every tutorial shows people using the attack action and the interface popping up. None of the combat skills can be drug to the hotbar either. I have the will to power, hunting, and animal husbandry. Please help!!
Xnodas

Re: Issue with Combat Interface

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:08 am

To set which combat actions you wish to use, open the character sheet and find the "Martial Arts & Combat Skills" tab (buttons towards the bottom of the window). It should be the fourth button from the left, the one with the image of some weaponry on it. See the wiki for a reference image: http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Glossary# ... at_Schools. You can drag which skills you want to use to the action bar here. Be sure to save it to one of the save slots! Also, you have five save slots, so you can have different loadouts for different situations. Starting out, using just one is fine, and when you get to needing something more specialized (specific animals, PvP, taming), you can use the others. Be sure to select which loadout you want to use before starting combat!

When you do attack something, the combat interface should pop up with the selected loadout. From this point, things should look similar to other guides, such as the selected target portrait in the upper right, openings and combat timer, etc.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Xnodas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 am

Yes I have a deck made and saved. I have the green check mark by the deck that is selected and loaded as the one that I want to use but in combat nothing pops up for me at all. This is the same for my friend as well, but he is doing range and is still able to shoot at least. Besides the attack action to enter combat with something, is there something else that needs to be done for the interface to come up? I have re-downloaded the game file more than once now as well.

I'm assuming the deck interface changed a bit but my Martial Arts & Combat Schools tab doesn't look like that.
Xnodas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:26 am

First, which client are you using? If the standard client, it should appear as on the wiki. If using one of the modded clients, you may see some extra inputs or checkboxes.

Do you have the skills Hunting? Will to Power? The first is needed to interact with animals, either by catching them, or via attacking and using combat. The latter is for actually get the 'Attack' action. Note: the default hot key for Attack is 't'. It should change the cursor into a sword. It may be different on some client mods.

Beyond that, I'd have to see a screenshot of your character information, and possibly of what you're looking at on the screen.

I snagged an image of the current combat tab and attached it here. What was on the wiki is either a bit outdated, and possibly from a different client than the standard one. (Uploaded the image I posted here for anyone watching the wiki.)
Attachments
HnH character sheet--combat section.png
HnH character sheet--combat section.png (341.81 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Xnodas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:49 am

wasnt allowed to do more than 256kb attachment but i tried attacking an ant and the combat interface is invisible for me and my friend that i am with. was able to use my combat moves but never showed the interface at all. so im working with being blind to what is happening.

I have Hunting and Will to Power. I am using the websites client from the site. No mods at all.
Attachments
incombat.png
incombat.png (217.92 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Xnodas

Postby Xnodas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 am

This is a picture taken while I was in combat with the ant. The ant is near at the bottom left. The pursue was at the top right of the screen as well. Not sure if that helps.
Attachments
combat.png
combat.png (253.01 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Xnodas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:20 am

Thanks for the updates. Looks like there might be more at issue here. First questions first, some questions and possible solutions to try--

1. What operating system and version are you using? What version of Java are you using? Make sure to include if using 32 or 64-bit versions of Java or operating system. This has been known to cause issues in the past with certain Intel-based graphics devices. If you have a 64-bit operating system (7, 8, or 10), make sure you have the 64-bit version of Java. You can download it manually from https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. If you're using a newer version of Java than 8 (such as OpenJDK), please let us know as there may be a bug that can be resolved.

2. Are graphics drivers currently up to date? What GPU or graphics device are you using? Make sure your drivers are up to date for your device.

Apologies for the extra questions, and thanks for the follow up answers to verify the problem. There was a recent update to the client to OpenGL 3.x support. There are still some bugs being worked out, and they may take a bit of time. Any extra information you can provide may help with resolving the issues. If you want more information, you can browse through the thread in Anouncements on the matter. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=66937

If I recall right, there have been similar complaints to yours. In the mean time, if none of the above helps, you should be able to access the older client via http://game.havenandhearth.com/java/old-launcher.jar. There is a time period for ending support here, though it hasn't been announced yet to get client modders a chance to update their code to the new client.
MagicManICT

Postby Xnodas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:54 am

Awesome!!! Updating Java must have done the trick. Everything is popping up for me now when I get into combat. Thanks for all the help!!

Edit: Just as a heads up my friend was having the same issue as I was. He did update everything and it still did not work for him. We both needed to uninstall Java and then reinstall it.
Xnodas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:16 am

Xnodas wrote:Updating Java must have done the trick. Everything is popping up for me now when I get into combat. Thanks for all the help!!

Glad it worked for you. There have been more than a few issues with the transition, as there always are, but it's nice when they're easy fixes.

Xnodas wrote:We both needed to uninstall Java and then reinstall it.

Unfortunately, this is a long running issue with Java.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?