Alchemy questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Alchemy questions

Postby Nizuto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 pm

I decided to give a shot on alchemy but so far from my trial and error there are a few things to wrap my head around:

1. How many Elixir Recipes are there? I only got Herbal Swill after discovering Clay Jar. But I can't seem to discover more of them. The patch note stated that "there are several". I have all 5 Alchemy Tools on my table, made them myself meaning I discovered them. Basically what uses Testtube, Burette and Fine Scales?

2. What are the effects of each Alchemical Process? I tried combining Granite+Gabbro (Calcination) and then Frog's Crown thinking that it removes what's in common (Cooking + Severe Mauling) and keep what's not (Stealth + Nettle Burn). Then I tried again Granite+Gabbro with Yellow Feet thinking it keeps what's common and remove the rest (so Cooking + Severe Mauling). Got elixirs that seems to have been made from ingredients with less properties that none matched. I also tried to make Fiery Combustion out of those Calcinations and still the same result. Basically I don't get what is getting removed and what's not.

3. What wounds are the most dangerous to get from these elixirs? Any of them that don't recover normally or get worse over time?

Thanks in advance!
Nizuto

Re: Alchemy questions

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:15 pm

here is recipe with salt_water+mushrooms, and quicksilver+stone recipe
ctopolon4

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:36 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:here is recipe with salt_water+mushrooms, and quicksilver+stone recipe

I haven't had a chance to play with alchemy much as I've been busy with other projects. Maybe you should explain for us noobs a bit better. This is the Help section of the forum, and if you're not going to provide useful help, then please don't post here.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm

its already a big spoiler about what you need to explore to get new recipes... if you need any proof or screenshot = try to look in the game
ctopolon4

Postby Nizuto » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:30 am

ctopolon4 wrote:here is recipe with salt_water+mushrooms, and quicksilver+stone recipe

Confirming this. Mushroom Decoction uses Salt Water, 2 Alchemy Ingredients and 1 Mushroom, Retort and Tripod Burner are needed. Mercurial Elixir uses Quicksilver, 2 Alchemy Ingredients and 1 Stone, Fine Scales and Testtube Rack are needed. There's still the Burette though. Maybe there's at least one more Elixir Recipe? Or maybe a Processing method?

But without a way to understand how purifying materials work, I guess these two won't help as every unmatched property creates bigger wounds. Meaning that until someone finds out how Alchemical Processes are done and what each of them do, we're stuck with Herbal Swill. It was mentioned in the announcement thread, but for now there's an issue with the purification methods because there's no label about what items have been used to create them or what's been changed. You have to keep track of it yourself. That's fine for the elixir but not for the ingredients. You can loop the result of Fiery Combustion and Lye Ablution with the process that made it, or between the two, and I can't tell if that's even intended or it actually does something desirable.

An interesting system would have been to add something similar to learning combat moves. Each time you match properties there's a chance that you'll learn if certain materials have a certain property. So for example by matching Lore over and over, at some point you will be able to identify every material that has Lore in it and display it just for you. It would be an item sink for completionists. Having an in game tracking system would be better than what we currently have. Doesn't stop you from using external sources and making the same type of research as it's currently done, it would just be some convince over time as you make more and more elixirs and this way find out how those Processes work much quicker.
Nizuto

Postby MadNomad » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:33 pm

don't drink it it's poison :o
MadNomad

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Is anyone working on this alchemy process? This is the only thread I can seem to find, and the wiki page confused me (I'm old). I made a the table and equipment, made a "potion" (I guess?) out of stuff I had laying around, and holy cow - I got a blistering headache that's gonna take a week or more to recover from! Maybe this process is over my head - but I was wondering if there is a thread somewhere that explains things "as you would a child." ;) Thanks!
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby vatas » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Potions should show all of their effects in the tooltip. Mismatched ingredients will result in only negative effects and you shouldn't drink those unless you want to intentionally kill a character for some reason.

Link to my Concussion Curing Cocktail tip: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=39862&p=865961&hilit=yellowfeet#p865961
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Grobble » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:42 am

Mineral Calcination (2 rocks) and Herbal Grind (2 herbs) just create a new ingredient with 4 new random effects. (will have the same output given the same input, but result will be effectively random)
Measured Distillate: Removes all effects except the first one from an ingredient.
Lye Ablusion: Removes the first effect from an ingredient leaving only the last 3.
Firery Combustion: Removes the second effect from an ingredient leaving only the other 3.

Here's the best guide we currently have:
https://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73730
Grobble

Return to How do I?