Ramming a Brickwall

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Ramming a Brickwall

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 pm

So I'm doing some renovations at a plot that is totally my own. I originally needed to take out a small gate and a big gate. I'll describe my steps in point form.

- build two wrecking balls in front of each gate
- waited till they dried, could do no damage
- disassembled the one in front of the big gate and built a ram
- later one a whim, tried to wreck the small gate and succeeded. This was with a stronger character so I figured that was the cause.
- brought an even stronger character to use the ram. Waited 24 hours for it to dry. No damage.
- waited 32 hours, no damage. Moved it to a corner post, 50% damage, had to take out some pali to get to is so the ram was working
-repaired ram, waited, no damage
-waited 36 hours, no damage
- reassembled wrecking ball because fuck it.

So how long do I fucking wait? Wiki said 32 hours after initial construction of the ram. Is it longer now or did I fuck up by moving it?

Seriously if these people hadn't quit the game I'd have already been fucked over. Siege bad.

Edit: the claim is at full authority, none of these characters are in the village but have perms.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: Ramming a Brickwall

Postby vatas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 pm

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Destroy
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Brickwall

https://www.squarerootcalculator.co/per ... uares.html

You need at least 121 STR to damage Brickwall with a Wrecking ball, and in this scenario you will deal only 1 damage per hit. With a ram, you could have 4 characters with 64 or more STR each. This way you'd deal at least 2 damage per hit, more if they have enough STR to reach higher base damage.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm

So the whole point of a ram is to not use solo, but to have a few people adding their strength? I was using a character with 600 strength fyi. on rn nursing a character with 430 and weilding a pick, if that matter when using siege. Haven't done the math on how much damage I'll be doing give me a sec

EDIT: okay shit I get it. I'm hitting this thing as if I had 20 str.

Thanks dude, appreciate it a bunch. I'll call a friend
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby vatas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am

If you have 600 STR then you should've been able to easily destroy Brickwall (you'd deal the base damage of Wrecking Ball, 40 points with your STR adding at least 24 dmg (since that's square root of 576)) totaling 64. Assuming wiki has correct value, Brick Wall has only 50 soak, meaning 14 points of damage would go through every hit.

At this point I have to ask, are you sure you placed the Wrecking Ball on correct position? The "wreck" option needs to appear immediately after placing the WB, it will just give you the error message telling the remaining in-game time that it takes to dry.

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Wrecking_Ball has an image showing a correct position with pegs things opposite to the wall (I also remember someone having the problem of ctrl+placing WB TOO CLOSE, apparently it needs to have couple of pixels of space between it and the wall.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to How do I?