Gates questions - making sure I understand the mechanics

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Gates questions - making sure I understand the mechanics

Postby loftar » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 am

vatas wrote:A snail is, in loose terms, a shelled gastropod.

Well yes, that's the part I understood.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Vedurin » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:45 pm

This is an old discussion but i recently started to play again and see some flaws in the things i read:

1. If the visitor buff still allows people to loot a knocked out person, because that's a crime against a person, then why would i want to build a visitor's gate ? For me as the owner of a claim it would be a risk to build a visitor's gate since in case i get knocked out somewhere in the world and then teleport back to my hearth fire anyone who happens to be visiting at that time could loot me after i teleport and before i actually get back up on my feet.

2. Someone said battery and assault are crimes against a person. If that would be treated the same way as in #1, then as the owner or member of a claim i would pose myself to even a lot more risk when i build a visitor's gate. I would even go so far to say that in this case building a visitor's gate would be a total waste and i would trap myself. Since basically i am inviting everyone to enter my claim without the need for siege weapons or heavy weaponry and outright kill me without any complications. True, all the rest in my claim would be protected, but i myself could be assassinated as easy as catching a snail. That would render visitor's gates absolutely pointless.

Sorry to put an answer, but the way the discussion ended is frightening.
Vedurin

Postby Sevenless » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Vedurin wrote:This is an old discussion but i recently started to play again and see some flaws in the things i read:

1. If the visitor buff still allows people to loot a knocked out person, because that's a crime against a person, then why would i want to build a visitor's gate ? For me as the owner of a claim it would be a risk to build a visitor's gate since in case i get knocked out somewhere in the world and then teleport back to my hearth fire anyone who happens to be visiting at that time could loot me after i teleport and before i actually get back up on my feet.

2. Someone said battery and assault are crimes against a person. If that would be treated the same way as in #1, then as the owner or member of a claim i would pose myself to even a lot more risk when i build a visitor's gate. I would even go so far to say that in this case building a visitor's gate would be a total waste and i would trap myself. Since basically i am inviting everyone to enter my claim without the need for siege weapons or heavy weaponry and outright kill me without any complications. True, all the rest in my claim would be protected, but i myself could be assassinated as easy as catching a snail. That would render visitor's gates absolutely pointless.

Sorry to put an answer, but the way the discussion ended is frightening.

1a) Vgates prevent people from entering buildings. Putting your hearthfire inside nullifies that risk entirely. (I can't confirm or deny Vgate perms prevent looting sorry, just know there's a way around your problem)

1b) A roundpole fence set 1 back from the Vgate can't be opened by Vgated players (if it's too close a horse hitbox can nudge it open), as such it prevents visitors entirely if you remember to keep them closed with 100% of the safety offered by Vgates otherwise. Every faction/large village in the game uses this setup for a reason.

2a) Claim owners get an evict option on vgated players. After a short timer they are teleported to their hearth. If they're in a combat relation, they are KOed first then teleported (including concussion wound). For characters that get 2 hit, this doesn't help, but for even slightly developed characters who aren't afking in the open.

2b) I was under the impression you can't initiate combat relations with people inside a Vgate at all. Players lure animals inside Vgates to kill afks if their gates are open. Could be wrong I guess?

2c) 1b prevents all of this from mattering.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Sevenless wrote:Players lure animals inside Vgates to kill afks if their gates are open. Could be wrong I guess?

You can't kite a boar through visitor gate by aggroing it and making it chase you, because that means you're in combat and can't pass through. However you can feed boar a clover and leash it, then take it inside.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:14 pm

vatas wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Players lure animals inside Vgates to kill afks if their gates are open. Could be wrong I guess?

You can't kite a boar through visitor gate by aggroing it and making it chase you, because that means you're in combat and can't pass through. However you can feed boar a clover and leash it, then take it inside.

You can wait for/get the animal near the gate (or, more realistically just have a friend helping), then aggro it by shooting an arrow at it from inside.

Clover thing sounds easier.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Previous

Return to How do I?