Cant launch the game at all

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Cant launch the game at all

Postby faceinbox » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:37 am

Earlier I had problems with using custom clients but the vanilla client worked just fine.
Now 1 day later I open up my macbook and try to run autohaven.jar and it just gives me a frozen white window. I tried messing around with my java versions and different custom clients and every suggestion I could dig up on google and nothing seems to work, all I managed to accomplish is that now instead of just a frozen white screen, it crashes and gives me this message:

Code: Select all
Process:               java [1181]
Path:                  /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
Identifier:            com.oracle.java.8u271.java
Version:               1.0 (1.8.0_271)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Jar Launcher [1178]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-12-30 05:35:34.485 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.5 (19F101)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        3660B1ED-FC12-3E7D-972E-635DF17DBC0D

Sleep/Wake UUID:       7201A7F7-82B8-46A7-89C1-22328E32A5D0

Time Awake Since Boot: 2500 seconds
Time Since Wake:       2200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        35  Java: Haven main thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'NSWindow drag regions should only be invalidated on the Main Thread!'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

im running macOS catalina 10.15.5
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his bunny slippers; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his slippers!
faceinbox

Re: Cant launch the game at all

Postby ZoniaX » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 pm

The same problem here on my wifes Mac 2 days ago vanilla was fine now i get the same errror than you. Updated to "BIG SUR" nothing changed.
ZoniaX

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am

I can't find the thread right now, but I'm pretty sure this error has been reported previously. My impression is that there is something with the windowing library that changed with Big Sur that has become incompatible with JOGL. The "NSWindow drag regions should only be invalidated on the Main Thread" error sounds familiar. Unfortunately, there is not yet any later released version of JOGL that I can try to upgrade to in order to see if they've fixed it, and it doesn't seem possible for me to build JOGL myself from source, as I believe it requires building on the target platform (so, since I have no Mac, I can't build the MacOS version of JOGL).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby faceinbox » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:I can't find the thread right now, but I'm pretty sure this error has been reported previously. My impression is that there is something with the windowing library that changed with Big Sur that has become incompatible with JOGL....

So is there nothing I can do on my end to make the game run? That's a bummer, I was just starting to get back into the game after a couple year break :(
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his bunny slippers; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his slippers!
faceinbox

Postby faceinbox » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:16 pm

loftar wrote:My impression is that there is something with the windowing library that changed with Big Sur that has become incompatible with JOGL.

Also, regarding this: I haven't updated to big sur yet like the other dude, so I don't see how big sur being incompatible with JOGL has anything to do with my problem that just started randomly without any updating on my end.
faceinbox

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:58 am

I've avoided posting anything here as I've not been able to find anything directly related to the problem. The best I can find is an issue relating to the way Java and some versions of MacOS are interfacing with each other. The only game I've been able to see any information on is the Java version of Minecraft. I was reluctant to share this as Minecraft uses the Java Lightweight Game Library, and H&H uses JOGL directly. If I understood the conversation correctly, it's been traced to a problem in Java that is scheduled to be fixed, at least in the latest OpenJDK versions, but as of November, has not been fixed yet. That I'm aware, no attempts at using different versions helped any.

I wish I could provide useful information, but this might be better than being clueless. Sorry it isn't more.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?