Ive tried everything!!!!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Ive tried everything!!!!

Postby LTclark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Okay... So I've tried and tried and tried... Now trying to lean on you guys for some support. I played H&H a long time ago and loved it and really want to get back into it. I've tried multiple times uninstall and reinstall java. Everything is up to date. Im running it as administrator. The client goes to launch and the black box will come up then it immediately closes. Ive tried turning my firewall off. Same thing. Please Help!!
LTclark

Re: Ive tried everything!!!!

Postby Dondy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Your post doesn't give us enough information to guess why it might be failing to load.

Does Java work at all on your machine? Or is it just H & H?

It could be be blocked by your browser - for example with Explorer you need to go into Tools>Manage Add-Ons and enable the Java Plugin.

Try downloading but not opening until you close your browser and then open the download from your desktop.

Try updating your video drivers as they may not be playing well with Java.

You could try clearing the Java cache in your temporary internet files.

If you are using an older version of Windows, that may be creating an incompatibility. If you are using an older version you probably have a good reason for it, but updating Windows can solve this problem sometimes too...

Again, not knowing your system it is hard to tell what you could try to fix this.
Dondy

Postby LTclark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Okay so it doesnt seem like java is working at all. I tried to just open java(as admin) and the same thing happens. It opens a black box, then immediately closes. This is a brand new computer. Running Windows 10. HP all in one AMD Ryzen5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx2.10Ghz with 12 GB ram.. Everything should be up to date. Its pretty aggravating..(the same thing happens when i try to open it on my desktop)
LTclark

Postby Dondy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Sounds like your machine came with defaults that prevent Java from operating. Did you enable Java in your browser? Since it is windows the browser settings could be affecting things even when the browser isn't open.
Dondy

Postby LTclark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Yeah, java is enabled in IE... Do you know how or where I could look to see if something is bothering with java? or is there something i have to turn off?
LTclark

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 pm

You could try this to possibly give some hint.

Checking that you have up-to-date-java of 64-bit

https://java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp (won't actually uninstall Java if you follow the instructions)

Run this and make sure it says "only one up-to-date version of Java detected" after clicking "agree". Select "no" afterwards.

It will turn into window that tells your current version of Java.

Also one possible issue is that if you have 32-bit system, you need to get 32-bit Java instead of 64-bit.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 pm

edit: ninja'd by vatas

First off, what file are you using to launch Haven with? It should be called "autohaven.jar," not "autohaven.jnlp." Click the "Play" button on the website to get the latest version of the launcher. If you use a modded client, there may be some compatibility issues, and you should check out The Wizards' Tower for information and currently working clients.

If Java flat out isn't working, try doing a clean-up of unnecessary files and utilities. A Windows computer, by default, is generally Java friendly. Oracle has a tool (https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp) for removing out of date Java resources. There are other tools available for cleaning up all out of date and unattached utilities, libraries, and other 'hanging files' and Registry entries. I don't have a recommendation at this time as what used to be my favorite came to have a few security issues at some point and fell out of favor. Some popular security software comes with such utilities in the paid versions. There are other stand-alone utilities--free, paid, and open source.

LTclark wrote:Okay so it doesnt seem like java is working at all.

Can you verify this? Do you have other Java based games or utilities that you could run? Minecraft is the most popular. Runescape is another (and is free). Oracle used to have a utility on java.com for this, but since they got rid of Java Web Start, it is no longer available.

Running as admin won't resolve the problem if the crash is something else (like a video driver incompatibility). Search your computer for a file called "hs_err_pid.log." It usually gets dumped to the Java folder,* so search there first. (*unless another utility or app changed the default behavior.) Running as admin won't resolve an issue of a video driver problem.

LTclark wrote:Yeah, java is enabled in IE... Do you know how or where I could look to see if something is bothering with java? or is there something i have to turn off?

If you're running IE, the issue could be a compatibility with x86 and x64 versions of Java and video drivers. You mention using a newer AMD processor. While I haven't seen an issue with AMD processors, I can't outright say this isn't the issue. If your version of Java doesn't say "64-bit", uninstall Java yet again and get the proper version for your operating system by going to https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. You'll more than likely want the "Windows Offline (64-bit)" file.

Lastly, there has been a few issues with the graphics API Haven uses that are currently unresolved. That I know of, these issues have been with MacOS. There may also be open source versions of Java that will work when the commercial Oracle version does not.

Side note: dump Internet Explorer if you don't need it on your computer. It's a security hazard. With Win 10, it can be 100% removed. Get the 64-bit version of Firefox or Chrome for web browsing. Even using Edge would be preferable to using IE.

vatas wrote:Also one possible issue is that if you have 32-bit system, you need to get 32-bit Java instead of 64-bit.

If this is actually the case, unless there is a strong reason to run 32-bit Windows with the processor mentioned above (which would be similar to the same reasons you'd run IE in Windows 10), I'd also recommend reinstalling Windows with the 64-bit version.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?