Starter tips for the new world

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Starter tips for the new world

Postby TerraSleet » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:22 am

Sevenless wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:And one last thing, if someone starts trying to bash your claim before it's up, remember you have a push command. ;) )

I'm always wary of people like that. Usually people aware enough to try and clear out beginner claimpoles with people actively there (willing to be memmed and recognized) are also going to keep being a problem. Be ready to ditch the area before they get too aggressive if they're looking that way.

Or beat them to the first punch. People like that tend to have good loot at their camp :twisted:
TerraSleet

Postby 26dollar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:32 am

helo im new pls tell me how to gitgud at the game

ive seen 70 quality water in barrels and 90q ball clay bricks, but any well i build or water source i check has never had water or clay higher than 40q
but it takes those things to make high Q trees which is needed for liek 290190 things and clay is needed for fuel and bricks for furnaces

is the only way to spend 250,000xp on a 40q well to get it to 60q and use 300q bones with the shitty 11q pit clay i can barely get any of to build a 150q kiln for high q ball clay bricks :?
26dollar

Postby Kamekono » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 am

Another tip: nettle gear doesn't give an agility deficit if made with quality 1-2 stinging nettles. If you plan on hunting early, take advantage of that to get some gear with gildings while avoiding losing agility.

26dollar wrote:helo im new pls tell me how to gitgud at the game

ive seen 70 quality water in barrels and 90q ball clay bricks, but any well i build or water source i check has never had water or clay higher than 40q
but it takes those things to make high Q trees which is needed for liek 290190 things and clay is needed for fuel and bricks for furnaces

is the only way to spend 250,000xp on a 40q well to get it to 60q and use 300q bones with the shitty 11q pit clay i can barely get any of to build a 150q kiln for high q ball clay bricks :?

That's a problem for further down the road... Please make a new thread about it.
Kamekono

Postby kirion » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:18 am

The best tip i can give is to never trust rivers. They be full of assholes. Don't settle near one, period. You can always make barrels of water and bring them back. If your settlement is visible from the river, you're too close.

tip #2 would be to not settle too close to a large swamp. They're hotspots for big lazy villages to settle nearby, and 110% won't tolerate anyone in a 10km^2 radius.

tip #3 is to learn how to fight. Not necessarily other players, but animals like foxes, bats etc. Can't count how many newbies ive met that didn't had a clue about how to fight (can't blame them tbh). The point is, animals are GREAT source of meats, leathers and bones. Also you'll be less afraid of wild animals which is a plus.
kirion

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:49 am

As a general rule of thumb: get all skills/stats to 10 as soon as possible. The maths in game means that efficiency of items with less than quality 10 is basically worthless and the quality of items found/crafted when your stats are less than 10 (IE softcapped) will therefore hamstring you.

Also get a tar pit started sooner rather than later since it takes a few IRL days for the coal to burn and you don't want to blocked on something like tarring a rowboat for your relocation because you forgot to get started on it earlier.
kabuto202

Postby meus » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 am

## Store valuables on an alt that's logged out.
E.g. if you just made your first metal or a few bone glues, just store them on an alt that will stay logged out.
This way you can afford playing without a big claim/palisade, and still keep the items, safer than anything in-game, while storage space is an issue.

## Start feeding your miner early.
Even if you're still in the foraging/hunting and scouting phase, you can just create an alt and start feeding them with +STR food, to utilize hunger.
meus

Postby Sevenless » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 pm

kirion wrote:tip #2 would be to not settle too close to a large swamp. They're hotspots for big lazy villages to settle nearby, and 110% won't tolerate anyone in a 10km^2 radius.

Settling near a swamp can prevent it from refreshing forageables. Areas only refresh if no one's in them. Can't count the number of times I've seen an unaware player with high playtime has ruined a swamp for everyone in the area. Soon as they've got a little house built it's impossible to move 3 minimaps away.

Starting a tar pit literally day one for coal is meta for village development. With how long they take, you're likely ready to at least start metal if you're chugging along well by the time it pops. The tar for other uses is nice too.

Getting going on your credos early is useful too, especially the forager one if you're planning to take it.

To the "git gud bit"... yeah that's basically its own thread. But:

Clay and water can reasonably go up to Q60ish last world. I'm not sure this world, but Q70+ had 1 or 2 nodes the entire world in W11 I believe? Older iterations of the game had 1-2 Q90+ nodes, but with ways to improve them the general average has lowered. 50+ base well is something people will put quite a bit of time hunting for, especially in gud factions/villagers. After that, the kingdom XP generator is how they get the well higher than 2-3 boosts. You can spend kingdom authority to give a player experience, and that player takes the "hearth magic XP cost" reduction credo.

Q90 ballclay bricks come from burning good Q ball clay in a crazy high kiln with the crazy high fuel. Basically they can make gold out of otherwise almost worthless dirt lategame.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby kirion » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Sevenless wrote:Settling near a swamp can prevent it from refreshing forageables. Areas only refresh if no one's in them. Can't count the number of times I've seen an unaware player with high playtime has ruined a swamp for everyone in the area. Soon as they've got a little house built it's impossible to move 3 minimaps away.

Oh absolutely. I've berated a few players through the years about them settling near a marsh. No dice, they never leave.
That's when i start bothering them all the time. :evil:
kirion

Postby abt79 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:14 pm

- Make some kind of table/chair ASAP and decorate it with at least the basic wooden "Symbel" items to get the most out of your food and maintain a decent hunger level via Feasting. The Stoneworking skill lets you make Stone tables and chairs which are strictly better and even slightly easier to make than their primitive wood counterparts. Tables even work as a decently large food storage spot

-construct, fuel, and light tar kiln(s) as soon as you have the skills to make them if you have any ambition of making metal
abt79

Postby kirion » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:00 pm

Remembered this since i see it SO OFTEN it stopped being funny a couple worlds back:

- When making a palisade door, when in doubt, make it a "Visitor Gate". It will help prevent crimes from happening inside your settlement, baring some exceptions (like if not all of the settlement is under a claim, or if the plot is accessible from a minehole)

- Talking of mineholes, always surround them with walls and a visitor gate. Too many people get raided because they have an unsecured minehole within their base, and then we hear about it in the Moot subforum.

- Unrelated to security : Plant trees with a treeplanter pot early and often! This is the key to get better wood and in turn better tools.
kirion

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?