Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:04 pm

seanamh420 wrote:I accidentally put branches in the crucible and now i can't smelt glass. Adding coal didn't work, is there a way to remove the branches or do i just need to wait?

Gotta wait :/
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:20 pm

Smash the crucible and build a new one :^)
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Spacecpp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:18 am

How to reset the position of the ingame windows? My friend accidentally dragged a window outside the client window and can't access it anymore.
Edit: Found it. I had to manually edit the windows.json.
Spacecpp

Postby seanamh420 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:49 pm

Do i need to only use punches to tame an animal - like it says on the wiki, or can I can just use normal attacks - low blow > punch > chop is my best combo so far?
seanamh420

Postby seanamh420 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:46 pm

2nd question - What does Grievous damage mean?

E.g. My stone axe is:
55 Damage
10% Grievous
20% Armour Pen

My Tinker Axe is:
51 Damage
40% Grievous
15% Armour Pen

What does the grievous component do?
seanamh420

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:47 pm

seanamh420 wrote:Do i need to only use punches to tame an animal - like it says on the wiki, or can I can just use normal attacks - low blow > punch > chop is my best combo so far?

Punch is recommended due to it's low damage because it seems that taming process is not completely understood, and dealing large amounts of damage in a single attack can result in overly punishing reaction from the animal.

A) The animal simply dies because your first big hit left the animal just above the "yield" threshold and the second one, with increased opening, is able to deal enough damage to reduce HP all the way to zero.

B) Animal being tamed may have "Goldilocks zone" in it's Hitpoint pool. You're supposed to hit the animal through Yellow pool until it's HP drops to the Green. However, if you do enough damage, you skip the Green altogether and go to Red where animal goes berserk and will fight to the death, likely losing/resetting all taming progress even if you manage to drop combat with the animal without killing it.

Classic blunder not related to amount of damage you deal; If multiple people tame the animal and someone forgot to toggle yield at the start, they keep hitting the animal after it gains taming points, which causes it to lose ALL taming points.

If you have low stats and low quality weapon, you're most likely safe with spamming an attack like "Quick Barrage" or "Sideswipe."
Attachments
taming_goldilocks.png
taming_goldilocks.png (643 Bytes) Viewed 1105 times
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:52 pm

seanamh420 wrote:2nd question - What does Grievous damage mean?

E.g. My stone axe is:
55 Damage
10% Grievous
20% Armour Pen

My Tinker Axe is:
51 Damage
40% Grievous
15% Armour Pen

What does the grievous component do?

Normal damage = Soft Hitpoint damage.
Grievous Damage = Hard Hitpoint damage.

Animals and Creatures use more regular/simple hitpoints system, so "Grievous Damage" only affects PvP.

https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Hitpoints
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby AlexAVK » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:28 pm

seanamh420 wrote:Do i need to only use punches to tame an animal - like it says on the wiki, or can I can just use normal attacks - low blow > punch > chop is my best combo so far?

I used punch for muflons and sideswipe for horses/aurochs with 19q bronze sword. Damage is small enough to successfully end every taming process.
AlexAVK

Postby Asgaroth22 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:31 pm

Is there any way to take all/fill your inventory from a barrel? I don't really feel like clicking 'Take' 80 times every time I replant my field.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby DoctorCookie » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:Is there any way to take all/fill your inventory from a barrel? I don't really feel like clicking 'Take' 80 times every time I replant my field.

CTRL/SHIFT/RMB according to this update viewtopic.php?f=39&t=73773
DoctorCookie

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?