How did I die?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How did I die?

Postby Orieum » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:56 pm

So I am a new haven and hearth player, and am unsure how I died. I was online, playing the game with a friend, and we were learning general game mechanics (tanning specifically) and right after the tub was filled with water, using a bucket, I suddenly died. There were no animals, or other players around, just my friend and I. My energy level was around 1300%, but I am unsure if this would be a contributing factor. It was winter and my character had no clothing and I am not sure if this game has some sort of hypothermia feature that causes a player to die after sustaining low temperatures for a period of time but I am utterly lost. Additionally, my health and stamina were both above 50-60%. What could have caused my death? Thank you for your time and consideration towards this manner.
Orieum

Re: How did I die?

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:07 pm

If your energy level was 1300% you probably starved. You can look under account on the top of this site and click the characters ancestor to see the wounds
DDDsDD999

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:40 am

During winter, you can stand naked outside, even in frozen water, during the entirety of the season, and you will not lose a single point of health.

But when your energy level drops below 2000%, you start taking starvation damage, at an accelerating rate.

Intuitive, I know.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:01 am

I just saw some video of a streamer trying haven for the first time some time ago and he was running around naked like all the time until I think Snail came and dropped him gear and a token. Are there still no strings in winter to make basic cloths? XD
and yea you probably just starved.
Pommfritz

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:47 pm

You really don't want to go under 2000% energy, being even at 1990% or such will result in steady ticks of Starvation damage.

Pommfritz wrote:IAre there still no strings in winter to make basic cloths? XD.

Only strings you can easily acquire during winter (aside from scavenging abandoned bases) are Bark Cordage and Hide Strap.

For clothing there are Hide Cloak and more expensive but fancier Fur Cloak.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby telum12 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:09 pm

ha ha why didn't you hear the single ding telling you you've started starving or see the tiny system message it's so obvious
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:31 pm

telum12 wrote:ha ha why didn't you hear the single ding telling you you've started starving or see the tiny system message it's so obvious

or notice the tiny yellow numbers flowing up above the character's head and figure out what those are
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:37 pm

vatas wrote:
telum12 wrote:ha ha why didn't you hear the single ding telling you you've started starving or see the tiny system message it's so obvious

or notice the tiny yellow numbers flowing up above the character's head and figure out what those are

Both of these things sound like custom client features.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Starvation ping is on default client (unless I'm severely mistaken) and was preceded by custom clients having warnings about it.

You get floating numbers on all damage at all clients, custom clients put permanent (until map reloads ie. from entering/exiting house/cave) counter above your head for it.

vatas

Postby Orieum » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:42 am

Thank you for your help! I will be sure to avoid starvation.
Orieum

Return to How do I?