Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:40 pm

Gargot wrote:I want only to know whats purpose of this fence gate Image behind visitor gate

so a stupid naked alt won't get inside your base through the visitor gate, you leave the fence gate closed and only you can open it cause they get the visitor debuff. Lock the visitor gate with a key you will never carry so you don't close it by mistake
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Gargot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:58 pm

As name says visitor gate main purpose is to let others visit your base and they can only check whats inside or people dont like share everything and want it secret?
Gargot

Postby MadNomad » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:31 am

nothing but obvious obviousnesses
MadNomad

Postby Gerdgen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:30 am

Gargot wrote:As name says visitor gate main purpose is to let others visit your base and they can only check whats inside or people dont like share everything and want it secret?

Are you confident that your village is 100% safe? That there isn't some secret way to come inside, lose visitor, and FUCK YOUR STILL-LIVING CORPSE TO SHAKEN FRAGMENTS?!

This fence is slightly helpful, so do it. What do you have to lose? If you know so much about the game, then you don't need this thread. These people aren't sharing tips here, only begging you to live.

Bad people don't want to share their ideas because they want to keep doing bad things.
Good people don't want to share their ideas because they don't want bad people critiquing their defenses.
Incompetent people are certain they know everything 100%.
And no one wants to share their ideas and look stupid.

Example: I am very against building village flags outside of the walls, because what if suddenly they decide to bring back W10 claims? I do not want my village claim to be drained from a tiny distant point outside the walls. Will this ever actually happen? Probably no. This is a stupid concern, but it's one I worry over. Fence gates are similar, with the many ways I could turn you into a smelly body pillow through them. Different designs and concerns. And if you don't agree, that's fine! You're exactly what folks like Snail are after. :)
Gerdgen

Postby Gargot » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:39 am

Gerdgen wrote:Are you confident that your village is 100% safe? That there isn't some secret way to come inside, lose visitor,

We went from simply mechanic "castle in middle of walls" with 1 entrance guarded by visitor buff to bugs and exploit side. I asked only about first part second is not my concern. Thanks all for info about safepali ill try this simply design with additional palisade outside my base with 2-3 layers of walls and 1 sqm gap between them.
Gargot

Postby Gerdgen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:46 am

Gargot wrote:
Gerdgen wrote:Are you confident that your village is 100% safe? That there isn't some secret way to come inside, lose visitor,

We went from simply mechanic "castle in middle of walls" with 1 entrance guarded by visitor buff to bugs and exploit side. I asked only about first part second is not my concern. Thanks all for info about safepali ill try this simply design with additional palisade outside my base with 2-3 layers of walls and 1 sqm gap between them.

No bugs here, friend. Only experience and unnecessarily complex game mechanics. You are already assuming people will use bugs to raid you, when it could just be a mistake you've made.
Gerdgen

Postby Gargot » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:32 am

I once read about someone losing the visitor buff when he entered the burrow in a village claim.
For example, someone enters a village and sees a rocking horse standing. He gets on it and his buddy picks it up along with the horse and goes out through the visitor gate. They both lose the debuff, but when he returns and puts the horse back in its place, the person who is still using the horse does not get the visitor buff. We are talking here about "clever use of game mechanic" and this is an oversight by the creator and the code because he did not take it into account.
The line between a bug that people discovered and works differently than the creator had in mind, and an exploit that causes a building or object to change properties, and the clever use of existing mechanics is very thin and there is no point in elaborating on this topic.
Gargot

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:32 am

Gargot wrote:I once read about someone losing the visitor buff when he entered the burrow in a village claim.
For example, someone enters a village and sees a rocking horse standing. He gets on it and his buddy picks it up along with the horse and goes out through the visitor gate. They both lose the debuff, but when he returns and puts the horse back in its place, the person who is still using the horse does not get the visitor buff. We are talking here about "clever use of game mechanic" and this is an oversight by the creator and the code because he did not take it into account.
The line between a bug that people discovered and works differently than the creator had in mind, and an exploit that causes a building or object to change properties, and the clever use of existing mechanics is very thin and there is no point in elaborating on this topic.

Non-exhaustively tested this, getting "That land is owned by [Village]." when trying to enter a burrow on village claim as non-member.

Could be a problem if burrow is covered by a Field Cairn that gives Trespassing permissions to non-members (white kin group.)

Gave the testing character Party Permissions, entered the burrow and still had Visitor. The Field Cairn thing above could still apply, but it would be highly inconsistent.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby meus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:15 pm

For "airlock" you can also make something like this:

An arbitrarily small "outside" area where you can enter/exit via a slave key - either to de-aggro or to temporarily store or drop items or trade.
But the bulk of the "going inside" the village can still be performed via hearth travel - have an alt that has their HF in the village, and goes out to pick deliveries - just opens the gates for one direction, then hearths back in.
meus

Postby valeriesusanne » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:20 pm

I couldn't find mention here - maybe it's in another thread(?) - about keeping claim bonds active and leaving them home when you travel, just like master keys. I learned the hard way that the bonds can be stolen and claimed out from under you! If you know about this wicked trick, you can simply renew your bonds if you get ko'd and they're stolen, but it does cost half the strength of the bond.

And that's actually the question I have here... what keeps the bonds strength built up - is it experience or learning? Or something else? I figured out that they lose strength over time when they aren't in your "brain", but I haven't figured out what restores them when they are.
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?