Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:22 pm

we need before and after pics of the bases for more drama
Pommfritz

Postby Baba_Ji » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:03 pm

Fostik wrote:...this should be explained IMO.

All good points. Unfortunately the longer something is, the less likely people are to read it. These felt like no-nonsense, "absolutely do this shit and don't ask why for now" things that a large amount of victims players do. I actually wanted the list to be event more brief than it even is now, whatever it takes to just get these simple mistakes to happen less. Also that particular point about claiming out further from your walls has not only quite a few good reasons to be followed, but also design considerations that practically border on Dev psychology and the history of the game's development. AKA, lots of opinions and arguments, which isn't the point here, when we're trying to desperately educate sprucecaps to lock the goddamn non-visitor gate they shouldn't have built. Also goddamn I wish we could revert to W10 single type gates, this change has only hurt sprucecaps and made airlocks slightly more annoying.

Writing a guide on some more complex stuff and base design could be fun, but definitely a lot more opinions/arguments to be thrown around. I started typing an example here but damn, I can't even do that without going into excessive detail and arguments with myself. And also we can't just give away the more advanced techniques of naughtiness!

Added a final picture of a happy forager finding a nice gate-treat.
Baba_Ji

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:33 pm

useless guide.
Sombody who stumbles upon this guide is smart enough not to commit into these mistakes in the first place.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 pm

shubla wrote:useless guide.
Sombody who stumbles upon this guide is smart enough not to commit into these mistakes in the first place.

Hardly useless. it's for new people who have no experience at the game and don't know the weird mechanics.

@Dakkan: Probably a bit long. Some of it should be considered "common sense" approaches (be nice to strangers; don't stream from anywhere valuable) for any game with open world PvP. I say keep it to key points and mechanics such as mine security, gate security, and palisade and gate mechanics.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Some of it should be considered "common sense" approaches

Some people need to be shouted at for playing this video game for 10 years, not being able to do this basic stuff, and complaining about it.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby axus » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:20 pm

I think it's a great guide. Pictures really expand the number of people who can understand.
axus

Postby telum12 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:29 pm

shubla wrote:useless guide.

> complains about mechanics they don't understand

> complains about people explaining mechanics

pls go back to goodposting, idk what happened to you fam
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:40 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Hardly useless. it's for new people who have no experience at the game and don't know the weird mechanics.

Locking gates is not really weird mechanics. What I meant is that if somebody is experienced enough to read forums he knows these things already, finding wiki etc. becomes before digging into various HDI threads.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Player_Population » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:49 am

MagicManICT wrote: Probably a bit long. Some of it should be considered "common sense" approaches (be nice to strangers; don't stream from anywhere valuable) for any game with open world PvP. I say keep it to key points and mechanics such as mine security, gate security, and palisade and gate mechanics.

I've added a TL;DR with the essence of each point, however none of these are common sense based on the depressingly hilarious high volume of screenshots and number of corpses I see Snail and Company hauling in daily like crab fishermen in the Bering Sprucecap Straits. There is a massive difference between "Don't encourage people to come mess you up by being a rude fuck/shitposter on the forums [link "I literally have more game knowledge than you." guy here]", and "Don't trust people outside your wall trying to politely get you in spearing distance." These points are very separate. We've probably had 10-20 streamers over this world, and even being directly told "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, STREAMING IS DANGEROUS." in their own stream chat they refuse to acknowledge it until they're given a B12 rectal exam.

Ugh, and this is just Claim Safety Basics, we haven't even covered "If the person trying to kill you asks how much health you have, don't tell them, why would you tell them, are you insane" survival techniques. Ziggy should probably cover that one in Pre-PVP Basics: So You're Dying Right Now And Wondering What To Do.

Each of these points stem from a unique and large heap of corpses, so they are not common sense to new players.

Shubla is probably right, people checking subforums like this are a minority in the extreme. And I'm not sure how good of a forum the forum is for more advanced safety issues, since there is a lot of legitimate discussion to be had over even fairly simple stuff. Also fighting over false info from the wiki will be fun, demanding evidence for how certain mechanics work. I love convincing people about how [redacted] actually doesn't [redacted] and it's probably just your own [redacted] causing you to mess it up, but I go through it yearly and have to prove it each time. Discord better for this stuff.

And the end of the day, this is a good link to post to semi-friends you don't want to handhold, and to people upset on the forums for something in this list.
Player_Population

Postby Phaen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:18 am

This thread is necessary and useful, thanks for typing it up Dakkan
Phaen

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?