Help with downloading

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Help with downloading

Postby KalasTheSheep » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:16 am

So I know there are other posts that are supposed to help with this and I've checked out those options, but I keep getting stuck.
I have a Windows 10 Pro cpu with x64, so I installed java 8 for x64 as shown in a post already existing. I made sure that the .jar file downloaded from hitting the play button is set to open using the java file I have downloaded.
Still doesn't do anything but make java open and close immediately after. Am I missing a step? Any help is greatly appreciated!
KalasTheSheep

Re: Help with downloading

Postby vatas » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 am

You could check if Ender works.

Official client should of course work too, but for the longest time I could only run custom clients and not the official one.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby KalasTheSheep » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:02 pm

vatas wrote:You could check if Ender works.

Official client should of course work too, but for the longest time I could only run custom clients and not the official one.

Thanks for responding! I checked out that post but the link for the launcher doesn't seem to work for me. I wasn't sure how deep to check for any updates, but the last page currently didn't have much help either.
KalasTheSheep

Postby vatas » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:39 pm

I get simply this when I click the link on Ender OP:
Attachments
firefox_s5IhhXegKX.png
firefox_s5IhhXegKX.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 345 times
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 pm

KalasTheSheep wrote:I made sure that the .jar file downloaded from hitting the play button is set to open using the java file I have downloaded.

Normally, this isn't something you should have to do manually; Java should set its own file associations when it's installed. Did you do something to override it, and what, more exactly, did you set it to?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby KalasTheSheep » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:22 am

loftar wrote:
KalasTheSheep wrote:I made sure that the .jar file downloaded from hitting the play button is set to open using the java file I have downloaded.

Normally, this isn't something you should have to do manually; Java should set its own file associations when it's installed. Did you do something to override it, and what, more exactly, did you set it to?

Well I tried hitting it regularly first (right after downloading java) and it kept asking me what program to use to open it, but there wasn't one selected as a default option. I had to manually select java in the folder for it but of course, it didn't work. There are 4 programs in the folder with labels like java, javacpl, javaw and javaws. None of these do anything to help, though I tried just the one labelled java first.

If it helps, the folder is in C > Program files > Java > jre1.8.0_311 > bin
Now I saw somewhere that jre should be something else but I wasn't sure why downloading the recommended java version 8 would give me something I couldn't use for the game? So idk if that's causing the issue.
KalasTheSheep

Postby KalasTheSheep » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 am

vatas wrote:I get simply this when I click the link on Ender OP:

Yeah I don't get any messages, nothing happens when I click the link for Ender strangely
KalasTheSheep

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:47 am

KalasTheSheep wrote:
vatas wrote:I get simply this when I click the link on Ender OP:

Yeah I don't get any messages, nothing happens when I click the link for Ender strangely

You could try a different browser. I use Firefox.

vatas

Postby KalasTheSheep » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 am

[/quote]You could try a different browser. I use Firefox.[/quote]
Oh dang I didn't even think of the browser as the issue, I've been using chrome. I'll try it and report back.
KalasTheSheep

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 pm

KalasTheSheep wrote:Well I tried hitting it regularly first (right after downloading java) and it kept asking me what program to use to open it, but there wasn't one selected as a default option.

That's certainly not normal. Not sure what would cause that, but perhaps something went wrong with the Java installation. Try reinstalling it, perhaps?

KalasTheSheep wrote:There are 4 programs in the folder with labels like java, javacpl, javaw and javaws.

The program normally used under Windows in javaw, but java should work too. The difference between them is that javaw runs in Windows' ordinary GUI mode, while java runs in a command-prompt window.

KalasTheSheep wrote:Now I saw somewhere that jre should be something else but I wasn't sure why downloading the recommended java version 8 would give me something I couldn't use for the game? So idk if that's causing the issue.

No, the JRE is exactly what you want. Java has historically made the distinction between JRE and JDK, where the JRE is what you need to run Java programs, and the JDK is what you need to develop and compile Java programs. Later Java versions (I don't remember exactly where they switched, Java 11, perhaps?) has done away with the distinction and always ship the whole JDK package, but having the whole JDK doesn't hurt for just running Java programs either, it just uses a bit more disk space.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to How do I?