Learning the basics of PVP will save your life

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Learning the basics of PVP will save your life

Postby Clemins » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:09 am

axus wrote:Isn't chasing just literally right-click and "Follow"?

A little more than that, like MightySheep said above, you have to pay attention to your environment (dodging trees, rocks etc.). Also make sure you don't turn if you don't have to, running in a straight line is your best bet.

Managing your stamina bar is also important, it's good practice to make sure it never drops below 50%. From what I learned, drinking around 55-60% is a good idea, especially on terrain you can sprint on.

Do the foraging credo as soon as possible, it gives a small speed buff when right clicking any small catchable creature. They're good for creating some free distance between you and your attacker (or closing some distance if you're the one attacking.)
Adding on to this, bunny slippers give speed buffs for chasing bunnies, so with the two combined you go pretty fast.

Grab any sprint boosts that are in front of you, or not too out of the way. This also adds a bit of temporary speed to your run AND prevents your attacker from also collecting them.

MightySheep wrote:Honestly your average PvP chase is probably like 5 minutes because people just run along river till they find a dugout or rowboat which are usually all over the place.

^This, finding some sort of boat will end the chase before you probably even get in it. Anyone chasing you notices you hauling toward a boat, they most likely know it's over. But also be careful not to tread in shallow water early or on a coastline, it might slow you down enough to screw you.

Once you lose aggro with your attacker, try positioning yourself behind a solid object like a tree or going into a cave to travel back to your hearthfire, done!

Again, this post does a way better job at describing what to do, so I highly encourage checking it out: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72160
Clemins

Postby DonVelD » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:47 am

axus wrote:Devs should make it easier to run away, since it's already easy. Until then, practice running from someone in spar.

Isn't chasing just literally right-click and "Follow"?

Why are you saying that they should make it easier if you don't even know how that works?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby strpk0 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:36 pm

DonVelD wrote:
axus wrote:Devs should make it easier to run away, since it's already easy. Until then, practice running from someone in spar.

Why are you saying that they should make it easier if you don't even know how that works?

"siege is too easy please nerf/remove it"

> have you ever attempted a siege or remotely tried defending from one?

"no, but siege is too easy please nerf/remove it"
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby iamahh » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:36 am

if you have ping 100 or less, anything is possibleee
iamahh

Postby axus » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:47 am

strpk0 wrote:
DonVelD wrote:

"siege is too easy please nerf/remove it"

> have you ever attempted a siege or remotely tried defending from one?

"no, but siege is too easy please nerf/remove it"

> Make the game easier
"No, The Game is perfect and needs no changes"
axus

Postby pawnchito » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:11 am

axus wrote:> Make the game easier
"No, The Game is perfect and needs no changes"

Yes, lets make the game easier indeed. Why not bubble hearth you friggin pally. Go play cookie clicker if you want easy. This game is hella easy but yall refuse to even attempt to use the gotdang mechanics or try to learn. All you guys ask for is insta wins. So frustrating.

100% learning some pvp shit will save your life. Dont be afraid of death its very temporary.
pawnchito

Postby ZamAlex » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:59 am

I think everyone just wants the game to be FUN, not EASY.
ZamAlex

Postby Zorgal » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:10 pm

Honestly, at the very least you should TRY to get away. The attitude of "You're dead anyway" is completely wrong. I have next to know practical experience in PvP and I've gotten away from 2 chases so far (Technically 3, but I killed myself accidentally via yarrow after hearthing). You can pre-prep dugouts in areas you frequently forage in and then run for those if somebody aggros you (Which is smart either way even for those instances where you accidentally aggro a bear or something), which make for easy get-aways and effectively cost you nothing except 2 minutes of time to set up.

And even if you do die, particularly as a sprucecap: So what? Nothing you owned can't be replaced with just a token bit of effort. Slap some curios into your inventory and take a break for a day or two, you will literally come back to having more LP than you lost dying. Everything else you can replace at a steady pace with some patience, it's part of the experience. If you start malding because your 20 PER 15 EXP character died you shouldn't have started playing in the first place.

Also: I know it's a meme for some that the game, apparently, mostly consists of people who eat 3 salted sprucecaps for breakfast each morning. But I honestly never got that impression. For every hearthling that randomly attacks you for the lulz there is usually one that will happily trade or even just give you stuff. It's been true almost 10 years ago when I last played, and still holds true now (Although this world is quite old, to be fair). The game removing PvP wouldn't change the fact that some people are just terrible at making friends.
Zorgal

Postby Clemins » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 pm

ZamAlex wrote:I think everyone just wants the game to be FUN, not EASY.

I get that, and I ask those who disagree, do you find every aspect of your "favorite game" fun? There's something in haven for everyone and though this might not be a feature you enjoy, many others do.

Just like my example my distaste for farming and animals, I dont like it, but I do it not because its fun, but because its an unavoidable part of the game.
Last edited by Clemins on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clemins

Postby Halbertz » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:17 pm

Clemins wrote: its an unavoidable part of the game.

Playing since w5 (with big breaks), never ever pick any crop. There are always options to avoid things that you don't like.

Zorgal wrote:Honestly, at the very least you should TRY to get away. The attitude of "You're dead anyway" is completely wrong.

In case of PvP, there no problem if not anyone interested in cleaving read and blue, but running skill is essential if you have plans to ever leave palisade. You are 100% right.

Zorgal wrote:For every hearthling that randomly attacks you for the lulz there is usually one that will happily trade or even just give you stuff.

Sometimes even both. There was occasion when we agroed random sprucecap that had fight with a fox. He started running, but fox immediately knoked him down. After reaching his body we put some stuff in his inventory, like random spears, monocle, and b12 that we picked before.
Last edited by Halbertz on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halbertz

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?