Metal and melee woes

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Metal and melee woes

Postby Procne » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:50 am

Jubal_Barca wrote:My other problem is combat. I've been trying to build strength and unarmed on the ability scores to make it do-able, but I still even can't raid ant nests without gaming it by kiting the ants ages away then running back too fast. I'm on 25 UA and 24 strength, and I can't seem to kill ants faster than they can respawn (generally punching them a bit, running into water to get openings down, rinse and repeat). Similar story with bats, despite putting the points into unarmed etc they seem to rip my openings miles faster than I can open theirs, meaning I spend tons of time closing openings, ducking in and out of caves, and struggle to get enough damage in. Is the most likely problem just that I need to grind fighting ants the slow way a lot more to improve my available cards' values (I'm still not far beyond just having the starting player deck), or am I doing something else wrong?

I think you might be overestimating the value of closing your own openings, and thus spend too much time on it. Closing openings is less efficient if the opening is small (if defense move says it will reduce opening by 20% then its 20% of the current opening value. So if opening is 50%, then 20% of 50% is 10%), so I wouldn't bother with it if the opening isn't bigger than 50%. You just have to accept you will take some damage, and keep attacking
Procne

Postby Hrenli » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:03 pm

Miss_Min wrote:Nope, you don't need wax for a palisade either.

Yeah, quite a brainfart I had right there... :?
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby Odynak » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 pm

terechgracz wrote:Buy or make yourself a sword and you will snowball very fast with spitroast and sausages.

The guy cannot find any metal and you suggest to make a sword and a meat grinder. Nice advice :D

Jubal_Barca wrote:So, metal. I can't find any of the stuff.

Do not relax. After you find some metal you also gonna find that your strength is not good enough to dig it :D
Odynak

Postby dorag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Jubal_Barca wrote:So, metal. I can't find any of the stuff. I've been wandering around prospecting, including both near and ages away from my base. I'd hoped to look on lower levels but I can't see how - I've built and fired a mine pyre in my cave but it looks like maybe I need metal to build the actual minehole because I can't seem to work out how to get any further with it. Lots of people must be managing to find the stuff because there are several bases with proper palisades in my broad area (which I think need metals IIRC), but right now it feels like metal is gating all the things I need to have a good shot at obtaining metal, which feels like a catch-22. I can't just up an move a long distance because I'll end up treading on the toes of players who DO have metal and that might be bad for my health. Any advice?

My other problem is combat. I've been trying to build strength and unarmed on the ability scores to make it do-able, but I still even can't raid ant nests without gaming it by kiting the ants ages away then running back too fast. I'm on 25 UA and 24 strength, and I can't seem to kill ants faster than they can respawn (generally punching them a bit, running into water to get openings down, rinse and repeat). Similar story with bats, despite putting the points into unarmed etc they seem to rip my openings miles faster than I can open theirs, meaning I spend tons of time closing openings, ducking in and out of caves, and struggle to get enough damage in. Is the most likely problem just that I need to grind fighting ants the slow way a lot more to improve my available cards' values (I'm still not far beyond just having the starting player deck), or am I doing something else wrong?

use a boat to cheese everything
dorag

Postby vatas » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:10 pm

dorag wrote:use a boat to cheese everything

If you have just 10-15 UA, you can probably punch fox/badger to death from boat, given enough time and patience. Once you get Boar Spear or other Melee Weapon with 120% range, you can use careful positioning to be in range to hit the animal without it being able to hit back. Either way, you'll likely need the second part of the "how to cheese hunting" -strategy.

The re-aggro trick. If you toggle peace at the start, the animal fleeing will drop the combat and you can aggro it again. You'd assume this meant animal would simply continue fleeing (and sometimes it does, not sure exactly why but you may need to let it run just a few tiles first) but instead it will suddenly regain it's will to be repeatedly poked to death and come right back to you. Toggle peace and repeat as many times as necessary.

This felt so game-y that few times I tried to kill fleeing animals "legitimately"and it generally sucked enough that I'll just stick to cheesing. See the comic below that might as well be based on this exact thing.

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby gravesmerch » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm

i bought a pickaxe and got lvl3 partial access, but still no wine glance

i was about to roleplay a softmetal village, but now the credo quest is tempting me to find wine glance again
gravesmerch

Previous

Return to How do I?