Mining changes ?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Mining changes ?

Postby fishbro001 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Thank you for this thread Granny, I tried finding copper and stuff on lvl 1 and couldn't find any.
Maybe one day we can have some tea and cookies <3
fishbro001

Postby XSurfer » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:38 pm

Be careful with random creature spawns when mining tiles. Apparently it is possible for even Trolls to spawn on lv 2. I read at least one player getting a Troll on lv 2. The chance is probably low, but still.

I thought this thread was very useful if you didn't already read it viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72819&hilit=troll
XSurfer

Postby fishbro001 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 am

XSurfer wrote:Be careful with random creature spawns when mining tiles. Apparently it is possible for even Trolls to spawn on lv 2. I read at least one player getting a Troll on lv 2. The chance is probably low, but still.

I thought this thread was very useful if you didn't already read it viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72819&hilit=troll

Thank you for this info, troll on lvl 2 is too scary
fishbro001

Postby Granny » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 am

fishbro001 wrote:Thank you for this thread Granny, I tried finding copper and stuff on lvl 1 and couldn't find any.
Maybe one day we can have some tea and cookies <3

Yes indeed! I just need to find that tea tree first...

XSurfer wrote:Be careful with random creature spawns when mining tiles. Apparently it is possible for even Trolls to spawn on lv 2. I read at least one player getting a Troll on lv 2. The chance is probably low, but still.

Yes, ooof! Thankfully I have never experienced that. What do you do then as a hermit? Throw loads of alts on it to lure it away? Build a new minehole on another location? Stop playing? Cry for help in the forums? I would not know where to begin if I encountered a troll. Even more devastating would it be if the beast managed to kill my miner. Then it would be goodbye world 14 for me I think. Building a miner takes forever and ever for me. Would I be able to click fast enough to escape the thing, I wonder. Thanks for the link Xsurfer, loads of information there.

I have managed to build a minehole and found a vein of cassiterite, which is carefully mined with my trusty q 30 stone axe. So now I have tin. For a long time my miner were too low in strength to be able to build a minehole to level 2. I thought foolishly that when I got that message it was because I had not fired up a pyre yet. I was wrong. Finally , after another round of meat pies she is ready, but I am still far away in getting all the required leather. Maybe some time before new year?
Granny

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Granny wrote:I know that you can get rid of cliffs by terraforming, at least in theory. I think I have tried that previously and failed miserably:) You place dirt on the edge somehow? I do not remember.

Loftar had an arcane hotkey basically none of us knew about. Pressing shift when you manually dig on a tile causes you to dig in the center instead of the edges, which lets you did down the top of the cliff since you don't clip.

Been in the entire time the system's been around, and I only found out this world.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Granny » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:31 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Loftar had an arcane hotkey basically none of us knew about. Pressing shift when you manually dig on a tile causes you to dig in the center instead of the edges, which lets you did down the top of the cliff since you don't clip.

Been in the entire time the system's been around, and I only found out this world.

Oh wow - I did not know either. I have to test this out this world. So far though I am far too busy getting munched, bitten and stung on various characters to think about landscaping. It is a harsh world. No cave-ins yet though, which is nice.
Granny

Postby Granny » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Update: I have been working on mining now in what seems like forever. I get that awful message that " the rock beneath is too hard for you to mine" or something, and it is not changing. My miner is now at 107 real/125 strength - and it is still too hard to mine? Granted - I am trying to reach level 4, since that is where the iron is (sigh) and the windmill needs iron. Also - on level 3 I only got some different minerals, and a tiny bit of wine glance. Black coal is where now?

In working on getting some better str.- food than boar and meat pies, I tried to hunt a moose. That did not go well, and my hunter had to take an extended sick leave after that. In desperation I grew some pepper and sprinkled that over the food , and yeah...now my miner is on extended sick leave. 210 HHP in bum burn!!!

This does not go well.
Granny

Postby lordgrunt » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:23 pm

for bum burn, get into alchemy (though im not sure if it requires some iron), this is a crippling wound for months.
you may want to upgrade your mining tool, also 125 str for lvl4 isnt a lot. the level below may also be an extra hard area, those can be quite big.
if you can reach Midinght Hoggers market, i can help out with mining tool.
lordgrunt

Postby Elen » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:00 pm

You don't need to get to level 4 for iron, level 3 has chalcopyrite which can smelt into copper or iron; note that you must smelt it in a proper smelter not a stack furnace, otherwise you'll only get copper. Black coal can also be found on level 3. If you haven't come across any you might just be unlucky, in my experience both are quite common so just keep digging around until you find some.
Elen

Postby Granny » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am

lordgrunt wrote:for bum burn, get into alchemy (though im not sure if it requires some iron), this is a crippling wound for months.
you may want to upgrade your mining tool, also 125 str for lvl4 isnt a lot. the level below may also be an extra hard area, those can be quite big.
if you can reach Midinght Hoggers market, i can help out with mining tool.

Alchemy is something I have started with, but not in an extensive way. With 210HHP gone from bum burn it might take me 70 days with the current healing rate. One night in bed gained 3 points. Ooof! Maybe I need to delve into alchemy more. Thankfully, since I have been working on strength with multi-food, constitution has rolled for me a lot. So the miner still has some hp left. I do not know where Midnight Hoggers market is. I do have an excellent mining tool, I just need more str. Maybe I should try to tame a cow and start that process as a better way to get some str. food. So much to do, so little time...

Elen wrote:You don't need to get to level 4 for iron, level 3 has chalcopyrite which can smelt into copper or iron; note that you must smelt it in a proper smelter not a stack furnace, otherwise you'll only get copper. Black coal can also be found on level 3. If you haven't come across any you might just be unlucky, in my experience both are quite common so just keep digging around until you find some.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up on chalcopyrite on level 3. I might have given up that level too easy. I mine a line in the middle of a grid, and then on the lines as well. So far nothing else than cassiterite, and some lead I discovered last night after your post challenged me to try some more :)
Granny

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?