Fishing and Autism; Data dump

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Fishing and Autism; Data dump

Postby ItsFunToLose » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:19 am

Here's a quick 'spreadsheet' of data I collected. Please tell me what any of this means, or if it proves useful to you in some way.

Data was collected from the exact same tile in the same node. I've read the rough intro to casting rod fishing Sevenless wrote ( viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65074#p823917 ), but I'm still interested in hard and fast rules for what fish like what combinations

data:
https://i.imgur.com/gYLgpPi.jpg

Let me know if any of this information seems to conflict or agree with your personal research.
Last edited by ItsFunToLose on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Re: Fishing and Autism; Data dump

Postby ItsFunToLose » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:49 am

Notable combinations for this particular node. You can safely ignore the number in parentheses, probably largely dependent on the actual node itself, I just used them to sort. ie, 71 for grayling is not necessarily "better" than 18 for Asp. 18 was just the highest catch chance for asp at this particular node, not that grayling's 71 combo is inherently "better" than asp's 18 combo

Asp -
(18) macabre, rock, bone
(16) macabre, copper, metal
(18) woods, copper, metal
(16) fine, copper, metal
(15) tanner, copper, metal
(15) shephard, rock, bone

Grayling -
(71) macabre, feather, metal
(70) fine feather, bone
(69) tanner, rock, bone
(68) macabre, feather, bone

Ide -

(41) shoreline, wood, bone
(39) shoreline, poppy, metal
(35) shoreline, copper, bone
(35) bushcraft, feather, bone
(32) woods, copper, bone
(31) bushcraft, feather, metal
(30) shephard, feather, bone
(30) tanner, woods, metal
(30) woods, poppy, bone
(29) woods, poppy, metal

Pike -
(58) shoreline, tin, metal
(58) macabre, rock, metal
(57) shephard, wood, bone(metal52)
(55) fine, copper, metal
(54) shoreline, copper, bone
(54) fine, rock, metal
(54) bushcraft, tin, bone
(53) bushcraft, copper, metal

Perch -
(77)Macabre, tin fly, metal hook
(75)Shoreline, feather, metal hook
(74) shoreline, wood, bone

Plaice -
(11) tanner, wood, bone
(10) shephard, copper, bone
(9) shephard, rock, bone
(9) woods, rock, bone
(8) shephard, woods, bone
(8) woods, tin, bone

Roach -
(30) bushcraft, rock, metal
(29) bushcraft, tin, metal
(29) woods, tin, metal
(28) macabre, tin, bone
(28) tanner, tin, metal
(27) fine, poppy, bone
(27) shephard, rock, bone

Ruffe -
(74) shoreline, wood, bone
(69) tanner, tin fly, metal hook
(69) woods, tin, metal

Smelt -
(57) tanner copper, bone
(57) shoreline, copper, bone
(57) tanner, copper, metal
(57) woods, wood, metal
(55) tanner, tin, bone
(55) shephard, wood, bone

Sturgeon -
(67)shoreline, tin, metal
(66) shephard, rock, bone
(65) bushcraft, tin, metal

Tench -
(57) Macabre, copper, metal
(57) shoreline, copper, metal
(56) Shoreline, poppy, bone
(54) woods, tin, metal
(54) macabre, tin, metal
(53) fine, tin, bone
(52) fine, poppy, metal
(52) macabre, tin, bone

Trout -
(12) shoreline, copper, metal
(11) shoreline, copper, bone

zander -
(65)Tanner, rock, metal(bone ok)
(62) bushcraft, tin, bone
(62)Macabre, rock, bone
(61) shoreline, tin, metal
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby fishbro001 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:19 am

why no data using bait fishing? :(
fishbro001

Postby ItsFunToLose » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:26 am

fishbro001 wrote:why no data using bait fishing? :(

Trolling or am I missing something critical? After testing all of these combinations and spending 2 hours fishing for zero actual fish, I genuinely felt like I would have been better off melting through 3 piles of entrails with a stick.

I just wanted Burbot for will+2 for a friend. Sidetracked af.

also, I realized that I was fishing across the boarder of spring/summer and that my data might be compromised dogshit as a result. Half of it was gathered day 30/30 spring, the other half, day1 of summer. Preliminary testing suggests that season did not impact the result much. Time of day perhaps, moon phase perhaps, but not season, Lorb help us if we need a 5D graph to display fishing results.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby dagrimreefah » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 am

Now this is what I call top-shelf grade A blue ribbon good ol' fashioned down south country home cooked autism right here. Good job and thanks, soldier
dagrimreefah

Postby ItsFunToLose » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:32 am

dagrimreefah wrote:Now this is what I call top-shelf grade A blue ribbon good ol' fashioned down south country home cooked autism right here. Good job and thanks, soldier

I'm pretty sure I'd have to gather the same set of data again for each time of day and then I can file that under "New moon" and start collecting data on the next phase. And then cross reference that with the completely new set of data that I start gathering at node2. I think I'd need to start stacking it into the 3rd dimension eventually, but visually it's such a clutter, so I just went with putting the different hooks on top of each other. I mean, we imagine ourselves to be 3D animals, but realistically, the raw visual input hitting our occipital lobe is flatter than the earth. It's a projection. A 2D field of wiggly light. Are you really so sure we're not 2 dimensional? And I forgot crabs. How the fuck could I forget Chitin Hooks?

So I think I have 66% of one data point.

And then there's the ocean. And underground! Fuck.

"THE JOY OF DISCOVERY!"

How does coelacanth know what phase of the moon it is on L8? Do they mate on a lunar or solar calendar cycle? Because I'm pretty sure the earth used to have 360 days in a year. A perfect circle. Degrees, minutes, seconds, time, angles, space. It's all just math, viz., the egyptians said that Thoth gambled with the moon and won 1/72 of light(energy) stored in the flywheel. They built the moon and put it there. Stored energy with it. Angular momentum in the vacuum of space. Almost lossless. Brilliant, really. 400 times smaller than the sun but 400 times closer. 360/72 = 5. They accidentally added 5 days to an earth year; catastrophic, they said. Real calamity. Bad juju. Horrible. But Thoth gambled and won. Gave Nut 5 extra days. She was cursed to never give birth during the 360 days of the year. So Thoth gave her 5 extra days. Gave birth to 5 children. Used to be a perfect circle. 360 degrees. 360 days. Not a coincidence, just a tragedy.

It's a fucking tragedy that Jorb can't just post this shit on the fucking wiki so I can finally get a good night's sleep.

I love you Lorb and Joftar. More than you will ever know. <3 Thanks for reviving me that one time.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:19 am

wat a point of this data collecting?
if you looking for mass production = use fishpole + magic || 10 nets every week
if you looking for certain fish for quest take a casting rod +2 simplest lure +2 hooks +2 line
(
switch them until you found your fish(kinda every 6 tiles at fish node),
switch them until here will 100% from lure for that fish,
looking for spot with kinda >20% from spot (20*100=20% as result chance) (try your luck) (mark the spot (another player can not have same fish in that spot))
)

using a crab hook can completly change the result, 3*100 can become 50*50 with same lure & line at same spot
pretty enough to have lure from 1 stone or 1 wood block, mb bark+cone||block+feather lure for rare catch
ctopolon4

Postby ItsFunToLose » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:57 am

ctopolon4 wrote:wat a point of this data collecting?
if you looking for mass production = use fishpole + magic || 10 nets every week
if you looking for certain fish for quest take a casting rod +2 simplest lure +2 hooks +2 line
(
switch them until you found your fish(kinda every 6 tiles at fish node),
switch them until here will 100% from lure for that fish,
looking for spot with kinda >20% from spot (20*100=20% as result chance) (try your luck) (mark the spot (another player can not have same fish in that spot))
)

using a crab hook can completly change the result, 3*100 can become 50*50 with same lure & line at same spot
pretty enough to have lure from 1 stone or 1 wood block, mb bark+cone||block+feather lure for rare catch

thank you for sharing your fishing heuristic.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby Miss_Min » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:03 pm

fishbro001 wrote:why no data using bait fishing? :(

Uh. Hi. I have a small amount of data related to autism in bait fishing, and I haven't shared it for a bunch of reasons, primarily because it's not complete, and I have only tried it in one place so don't know if it's actually relevant to anyone else.

My primary finding at this stage has been that each combination of line/hook/bait seems to catch three different types of fish PLUS TRASH in the one location tested. The fact that some of the trash is fish does confuse the issue a bit.

Most relevant to my quests: in order to Catch a Lavaret, I recommend using a shoreline fishline, a bone hook and a worm. At my location this will also get you lots of perch and more trash than other equipment combos.

Further fish-related autism is on hold until I have enough space to put more piles of fish. Fish recipes that don't result in further levels of str or int are welcome.

ETA: Thinking a little bit more about why it was that I only seemed to get two kinds of fish plus a lot of trash with that one combo, I know that in some previous worlds (idk only maybe legacy? when there was no sea but also, sometimes there were no eels) eels moved between the sea and rivers depending on the phase of the moon. So maybe the extra trash was in place of a fish that had fucked off to the beach for a while? Insufficient data, please try this at home and tell me how it went for you!

Oh yeah, and equipment quality might have an effect too, just go for something above q10 if you can? I was using approx q10-40 of everything.
Miss_Min

Return to How do I?