regular VS visitor gate

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

regular VS visitor gate

Postby broghk75 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:24 pm

I am trying to see what, if any, downsides there are to having a visitor's gate over a regular gate?

I mean it would seem, I can have these, and Unless they break through my palli. I'm totally safe?
broghk75

Re: regular VS visitor gate

Postby DonVelD » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:16 pm

its always safer to just build a visitor gate, there's technically some uses for regular but if you care about safety then don't even bother thinking about the regular ones
though even visitor gates don't mean that you're 100% safe, refer to this guide for a 99% safety: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72166&p=894629
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby vatas » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:04 pm

I recommend reading the guide linked in above post, but the shortest way to explain difference:

Regular
Works like you expect a gate would work -if it is closed, you can not go through it. When it is open, you can, and there are no string attached other than somebody closing the gate and trapping you inside.

Visitor
The one with not so intuitive but necessary rules attached to it.
  • Even if it is open, you can not pass through if you have an active combat relation. (You need to drop combat entirely, just toggling peace/yield is not sufficient.)
  • If you do pass through and the gate is covered by claim(s) you will gain Visitor status to said claim(s) until you leave the claim(s) entirely. (You need to walk to an unclaimed area to drop Visitor status. This leads to potential security hole in a village, a literal "hole" of unclaimed land in the middle of village where you can drop Visitor.)

Clarification: gate does differentiate you going in/out in any way; going too close to gate's hitbox from either direction will simply apply the Visitor status.

Why do we have this complicated mess?

It used to be simple system, only regular gates except you gain Visitor as you do now from V-gates. Unfortunately it led to this:
[I don't have easy access to the image, but imagine a 10x10 palisade box made entirely of sideways gates (possible by excessively building and bashing corner posts.)]
Oh, someone lays a siege on you? It would be shame if they could build a safepali where to run if they need to flee, and if you come inside you can be instantly KO'd with "Evict" (at least I think they only later added a countdown timer to Eviction.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby bumfrog » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:22 pm

yeah you want visitor gates at every possible entrance to your base.
If people want to enter they shouldn’t be able to without passing thru a visitor gate or breaking a palisade wall(if it’s properly claimed, doing so is near impossible).

The only downside to VGates is that you can’t go through them while in combat. i.e. you’re trapped outside your base if a player/animal you can’t shake attacks you
Some players build “Airlocks” at one entrance to their base, with a regular gate from the outside to the airlock and a visitor gate from the airlock to the inside. The use being that you can flee combat by passing thru the regular gate of the airlock, close that outer gate and/or enter a locked house to lose the combat relation, then teleport to HF or enter through the visitor gate to complete the escape. These become more important if you intend to do any kind of crimes, or on palisades you build in the underground mines.

but you can always add that on later. On your initial palisade it’s most efficient to just build visitor gates, and they’re all you’ll (probably) ever need.
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby vatas » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:31 pm

If you are being chased by a troll and 1. go through a normal gate 2. close it 3. enter house inside the airlock area, are you safe? When thinking about the mine safety, this has been a concern. I had to build minehole palisades on deeper levels back in w13 because it seemed someone shared the cave network, and village mate ended up dying after spawning a troll because they were simple boxes with visitor gates.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby DonVelD » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:24 pm

just run away or quell the beast bro, but i feel like you're supposed to be safe inside the house cuz its a whole other location
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:29 pm

you run through the non-visitor gate (of a dry palisade), you close it, you enter the house, you're safe.
If you don't close the gate, the troll should come in and bash the house after you enter it.

Also afaik, trolls will cause cave-ins through the closed palisade gate the moment they get blocked by it, so you need to be outside of his view by the time he reaches the gate (for example, in a house, or on a different mine level) to prevent that.

BUT HONESTLY with how bugged trolls are, those retards will literally throw caveins for no fucking reason. Dumb ass mechanics.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Return to How do I?