Ho do i launch the game?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Ho do i launch the game?

Postby TUNASUB » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:27 pm

I'm losing my mind over here.

I downloaded the launcher, i downloaded Java, now i just can't get the launcher running.
What am i doing wrong?

Richt clicked the .jar, open with Java Web Start Launcher.....
TUNASUB

Re: Ho do i launch the game?

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:01 pm

TUNASUB wrote:Richt clicked the .jar, open with Java Web Start Launcher.....

The launcher should be opened with Java itself, not Java Web Start. That should also be the default file association after installing Java, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby TUNASUB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:45 am

loftar wrote:
TUNASUB wrote:Richt clicked the .jar, open with Java Web Start Launcher.....

The launcher should be opened with Java itself, not Java Web Start. That should also be the default file association after installing Java, though.

I tried but it didn't work as well. I clicked through any type of java file in the folder..
TUNASUB

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:21 pm

Custom clients have their own caveats, but I assume I can recommend one made by forum user Ender. His client dates back to Legacy era and is probably the most trustworthy of all "Wizards."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby TUNASUB » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:45 pm

No matter which launcher i try, it just won'T launch.
I don't know if this is some Java or windows issue but it's just not working.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and removing and redownloading but nothing works :(
TUNASUB

Postby vatas » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:55 pm

In case it is a Java issue, you can try Kami client.

How to Install?
You got 3 options.
  1. Download the updater only, extract it into a folder of your choice, run the updater, profit.
  2. Download the base package, extract it into a folder of your choice, run the updater or start-hafen.bat, profit.
  3. Download the complete package, extract it into a folder of your choice, run the updater or start-hafen-with-jdk.bat, profit.

Key difference is that if you run the updater.exe, you can check a box called "use packaged jdk" or something like that. It will try to use Java binaries included with the client instead of your computer's installed Java.

I personally use Kami client and consider the creator trustworthy, but for the sake of full disclosure, I'll also link this official dev stance on custom clients:
loftar wrote:As a general statement on using custom clients, please note that none of the clients on the forum are endorsed, validated or otherwise checked by Seatribe for defects or malicious code. While we hope that noone would be so dastardly as to post a malicious client here, and while we would, of course, delete the thread on a client found to be malicious, we don't know that in advance.

Be aware, therefore, that a custom client is like any other program you download in that it can steal your passwords, format your hard drive or anything else should its author so wish, and that you should download and run no client that you don't feel that you have strong reason to trust.

It should also be noted that resource files may also contain code that the client will execute, so you should exercise the same caution with third-party resource files as with third-party clients.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=40947
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Ø » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:33 am

Try this: www.java.com/verify

Run the program. If you don't have Java installed it will ask if you want to download and install. If you click the button it takes you to the official Java download page.

Apparently, I didn't have any Java installed, but I have the JDK installed which... w/e
Ø

Postby TUNASUB » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:33 am

vatas wrote:In case it is a Java issue, you can try Kami client.

Thank you very much man!
This is working absolutely perfect
TUNASUB

Return to How do I?