building a dock

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

building a dock

Postby Broccolo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:05 pm

i want to fast travel to my base, and i need to build a dock (witch is bullshit how much it cost compared to a ship..but that's beside the point) the problem is that the river in front of my base is to narrow, so i need to build my dock sidewise.
And now the "doubt": one of his side will be adjacent to the shore... it will matter when i'll fast travel?? the Snekkja like one specific side or it will just take the first free spot it'll find? what if i build it and the dreadfull message "there is no space at your desitination" appear?

we're talking of 50 tarstick here, not something i can land my hands on again in a shot period of time, is not like i can just go "oh well...lets destroy it and rebuild it" so easly
Broccolo

Re: building a dock

Postby TheServant » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:11 pm

only one way to find out..
TheServant

Postby abt79 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:20 pm

First boat to be set to the dock defaults to docking and “landing” on one side - the left, standing on shore looking out onto the dock. (Or the Right looking up the end of the dock from the water)

So your intention to build a dock parallel to the shore instead of perpendicular, while stupid, could work if you only ever want a single ship so long as the left side of the dock is exposed to the water.

However the better idea is to find a nearby lake or pond and build the dock properly there. It wouldnt be that hard to build a Crossroad to your dock-lake no matter how far from you it is, certainly less of an expense than a dock that is either half-useful and very exposed to river traffic, or useless because you still built it wrong.
abt79

Postby Broccolo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:41 pm

i agreed.
My idea is basically stupid.
I wont consider doing this if not necessary. Unfortunatly i need my snekkja to be very close to my base gate, the other option would be to build it away from it and have multiple carts parked there , plus claim. also this side cannot be protected cause the geography cannot allow land build of any kind.
So again, thats why i got this problematic situation.
In the end i wont risk to waste so many tarstick.. so i probably will end up doing something not comfortable, but less risky
Broccolo

Postby vatas » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:49 pm

abt79 wrote:So your intention to build a dock parallel to the shore instead of perpendicular, while stupid, could work if you only ever want a single ship so long as the left side of the dock is exposed to the water.

I just realized that the current Wiki image actually demonstrates this:
To be extra clear, the setup pictured wastes the second side of the Dock but since the cove is so tiny, the choice is between that or no Dock at all.
https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Ship_Dock
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Broccolo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:35 am

i saw that page as well.. but i dont fully trust the wiky thats why i come here ^_^'
Broccolo

Return to How do I?