More clarification on animal husbandry

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

More clarification on animal husbandry

Postby Bertelemy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:28 pm

Can someone please explain the animal traits please? What it does Quality, Breeding quality, Milk Quantity, Milk Quality % mean? I didn't understand the wiki much.

What is satiety vs wellfedness?

Also, for breeding, does the male have to reach the female? So, if I block their path to each other with something other than fences, they won't breed also? Does the same thing apply to breastfeeding young animals? If I block their path to their mothers, they will die?

Finally, if I milk a lactating mother, won't the child starve? But if the child grows up, the mother will stop lactating? So, how to milk?
Bertelemy

Re: More clarification on animal husbandry

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:44 pm

Okay so:
Quality - quality of animal, all other qualities are based on this
Breeding quality - afaik it only matters on a male (maybe, i'm not sure), it's used when calculating the quality of offspring
Quantities - They affect how much of each product you get from the animals, milk quantity would affect how much milk the cow produces for example
Quality % - Is a % increase to the quality of the said product

Satiety is basically the animal hunger, once it drops to 0 the animal begins to starve. When the animal starves it drops the wellfedness (which affects overall qualities), afaik it's permanent damage.

Yes the animals need to be able to reach each other to breed.

If I'm not wrong the cows produce milk indefinitely after they get impregnated at least once, they just need to be lactating so the small ones can feed (according to wiki you can feed them with a barrel of milk if need be but i have no idea if that's true).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Bertelemy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:43 pm

Thanks a lot. Can you tell me how the numbers work? Like what does meat quantity 30 mean actually? Surely I will not get 30 pieces of meat.
Bertelemy

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:01 pm

Bertelemy wrote:Thanks a lot. Can you tell me how the numbers work? Like what does meat quantity 30 mean actually? Surely I will not get 30 pieces of meat.

I have no clue on exact numbers, someone with better knowledge of herding might know. But, I assume, it's something like a square/cube root of quantity/10. So 10 is base production, either 40 or 90 quantity would double the production and so on, but my predictions might be completely wrong.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby vatas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:42 pm

Sevenless made a pretty exhaustive guide that should still be up-to-date, biggest change I can remember is the addition of tamed reindeer.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73914
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Return to How do I?