Cavein under support?

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Cavein under support?

Postby widelec_szatana » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:49 pm

So i was literally 1 tile away from a gud non damaged support when another support broke(which was quite far actually) and got hit by a cavein.
When this happen shouldnt a cavein be localzed only to area which is no longer supported by anything?
widelec_szatana

Re: Cavein under support?

Postby loskierek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:28 am

a support is not a greek god atlas, its no gonna hold the entire cave when another support breaks
loskierek

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Cave-ins can spread into supported areas. There's nothing that says otherwise. In fact, if you're not careful, you can very easily cause a critical collapse of everything in the area you're working. It's suggested you use the stone columns so that there's as much room between supports as possible to decrease cascade failures. (I'm not sure the "Mine Beam" support is worth the extra radius... others will have to chime in on that.)

You should also keep supports repaired just in case this happens.

Miner's credo, when completed, can help localize cave-ins so they don't make as big a mess.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loskierek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 pm

beam is alright if u have access to poor quality tin ( like me, hubdreds od q20 tin just laying around )
loskierek

Postby Kaios » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:11 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I'm not sure the "Mine Beam" support is worth the extra radius... others will have to chime in on that.

Slightly more coverage than stone support for 5 extra bars, not worth
Kaios

Postby loskierek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Kaios wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I'm not sure the "Mine Beam" support is worth the extra radius... others will have to chime in on that.

Slightly more coverage than stone support for 5 extra bars, not worth

good when you want fewer supports on ur underground claim outpost
loskierek

Postby Popo13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I think the OP meant something different.

I have had this happen twice now - I am in range of a support (stone column, to be precise) that was freshly built, and also in range of a column that is nearly destroyed from previously supported cave-ins.

I then mine a cave-in tile, and the old column is destroyed, with a large cave-in resulting, despite my proximity (and the proximity of the tile I just mined that caused it) being well within the fresh mine support.

My apologies if this is reported elsewhere separately, but I do believe this is still an active bug as of today.
Popo13

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Would love a screenshot of a relevant situation. May be hard to reproduce. Will look at it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Popo13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 pm

jorb wrote:Would love a screenshot of a relevant situation. May be hard to reproduce. Will look at it.

The previous situation would be inconclusive, with the massive amount of debris around and my inability to state 100% where the supports were located.

I was able to reproduce the incident, however:

I hope it is clear from the pictures, but the steps were simple:
1. Built a mine support and wore it down to 25%.
2. Built a 2nd mine support nearby.
3. Mined surrounding tiles searching for cave-ins within the range of BOTH supports. (in the 3rd image, you can no longer see the destroyed support, but I am showing the radius of a new support from the tile I just mined that caused the cave-in, and it's obvious that it overlapped the first support).

I do not know if this matters, but in both incidents I recall the decayed support being to the WEST of the fresh support. In other words, the new support to the east apparently did not take precedence over the worn out support west of it, when both were in range.

Edit: It may be confusing where the Apatite mine column came from in the images. It is the 2nd support I built - you just can't see it in the 2nd image because I was mousing over with the option to build a new stone column in order to show the radius. Sorry for the confusion.
Popo13

Return to Bugs