Graphical Atrifacts on Radeon cards.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Graphical Atrifacts on Radeon cards.

Postby kris_hole » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm

This game has huge problems with radeon cards. I know my card is fine as other games run perfectly fine, whether its the AMD openGL driver or what who knows.

Another person had similar issues here who also said it was when running on an AMD card. I have seen the exact same bug he reported several times when opening chests or cupboards.

I have also noticed roofs on houses just disapear.

The bug isn't a 100% reproductable thing, but it happens pretty regularly. My game is fine most of the time, but this happens often enough that it is a bit of a problem.

For reference, I am using a Radeon founders edition 5700XT with latest drivers. This also happens on default client

Here you can see where a roof decides to just absolutely shit itself:

This also never happened on the old rendering method.
kris_hole

Re: Graphical Atrifacts on Radeon cards.

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 pm

Things happened on the OpenGL 2.x version of the code. There was a collected thread with all the rendering bugs, generally w8 to 10. The old rendering bug took a while to find, but I believe loftar finally found and fixed it.

If it is a card or driver specific issue, and if we're going to narrow down what cards or drivers are the problem, we need to know which players with the problems are using.
edit: if you have specific settings on or off, please mention those, too. (See post below.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby kris_hole » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 pm

MagicManICT wrote:we need to know which players with the problems are using.

kris_hole

Postby czaper2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 pm

It's directly related to having shadows turned off.

Turn shadows back on, and all those glitches suddenly disappear.

AMD 570 8gb with the problem.
czaper2

Postby FrogA7 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 am

RX 580 here, Java 11 aswell.
Updating/downgrading drivers does not fix the issue for me, I pretty regularly get these types of graphical bugs, specially around animated objects such as cupboards, chests, spitroasts, etc.

There's also a lot of instances where my screen suddenly becomes covered with rapidly blinking polygons and other harsh graphical bugs.
Toggling shadows seems to fix the issue temporarily, but it tends to return afterwards.
FrogA7

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:03 am

czaper2 wrote:Turn shadows back on, and all those glitches suddenly disappear.

Game settings being used is always helpful for debugging, too. Thanks!

Updated my first post for the extra requested information.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Hmm. I'm not getting this on my laptop with built-in Vega graphics, either with or without shadows, but then I'm using Linux, so it could be a difference in drivers. If it happens on both a 570, and a 5700 XT, then I'd be surprised, at least, if the problem were to skip Vega (which is supposedly in between those two, architecturally), and I doubt the issue would show itself on discrete cards but not IGPs (who knows, perhaps, but it wouldn't be my first guess).

If the problem is down to drivers, perhaps it is also bound to some specific driver version. It might help if people having this problem report the version of the driver that they're using. Also, is this problem always present for those of you having it, or does it only show itself sometimes?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby FrogA7 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 pm

loftar wrote:Hmm. I'm not getting this on my laptop with built-in Vega graphics, either with or without shadows, but then I'm using Linux, so it could be a difference in drivers. If it happens on both a 570, and a 5700 XT, then I'd be surprised, at least, if the problem were to skip Vega (which is supposedly in between those two, architecturally), and I doubt the issue would show itself on discrete cards but not IGPs (who knows, perhaps, but it wouldn't be my first guess).

If the problem is down to drivers, perhaps it is also bound to some specific driver version. It might help if people having this problem report the version of the driver that they're using. Also, is this problem always present for those of you having it, or does it only show itself sometimes?

RX 580 here:

I also tried cleaning out my drivers and installing the driver provided by Windows Update (which would presumably be a bit older, although I didn't note down what version it gave me). This did not fix the issue.

The problem tends to happen randomly, usually around animated objects like I mentioned before, but there are periods of time where I have to enter and leave a house several times to make the cupboards stop exploding (although as of recently I learned that toggling shadows seems to achieve a similar temporary fix). I would say around 40% of the times I enter a house I experience the bug (somewhat more commonly when I start the client from fresh and log in inside a house), and also occasionally experience similar bugs around spitroasts and other outdoors animated objects (sometimes even the roofs on houses glitch out like in the pictures), but those are usually considerably rarer.

FrogA7

Postby kris_hole » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm

loftar wrote:Hmm. I'm not getting this on my laptop with built-in Vega graphics, either with or without shadows, but then I'm using Linux, so it could be a difference in drivers. If it happens on both a 570, and a 5700 XT, then I'd be surprised, at least, if the problem were to skip Vega (which is supposedly in between those two, architecturally), and I doubt the issue would show itself on discrete cards but not IGPs (who knows, perhaps, but it wouldn't be my first guess).

Radeon 21.3.1, Windows 10 Version 20H2 19042.906

The issue is only sometimes present. But when it is it seems to progressively get worse once it happens once until the next restart. It also appears to happen more often with shadows disabled, but whether this is actually true or not i'm not sure.
kris_hole

Postby Kirche » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 am

Having this issue constantly with my vega 56
Kirche

Next

Return to Bugs