Official Client: No Icons, Empty "Icon Settings" UI

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Official Client: No Icons, Empty "Icon Settings" UI

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:53 am

loftar wrote:Right. I assumed you were on Windows.

A reasonable assumption; most folks are, and you'd responded before I posted OS information.

loftar wrote:If you enable the debug output with the :stats on console command, you can see the "RQ depth" counter telling you if it's still loading, and how far it has come.

Is that a java console thing, or are there a set of : commands in the client I don't know about?

The way I launch the client, I don't get a java console. Or rather, I get one only if the client crashes. But I can probably figure out how to get one.

loftar wrote:I can also see from the logs where you delete the data directory and started downloading all the resources from scratch again. It seems to have been taking several minutes, so perhaps it was simply still loading when you decided to give up?

Meanwhile as of the time I started typing this reply, I had swapped the directories again (so I have the .haven/data created in the first experiment), launched the official client, and logged in a hearthling in a location where it's outdoors (so there should be icons appearing) but it's reasonably safe to go AFK.

I'll leave it there for an hour, and see whether anything changes.
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:57 am

Doh.

At some point when I was typing the previous message, an icon for a forageable mushroom appeared on my screen. No tool tip, or other source of the mushroom's name, but maybe that's normal for the official client.

When I moved towards the mushroom, icons for rustroot, dandelion, and an anthill also appeared on the minimap; they may have been out of range where I was standing earlier.

Note also: I'm not 100% sure the mushroom wasn't present when I logged in. Such things are supposed to be there, so not 100% sure I'd have noticed, distracted as I was composing a message. I'd say I'm only 95% sure it wasn't there when I logged in this time.
xyzzy57

Postby loftar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 am

xyzzy57 wrote:Is that a java console thing, or are there a set of : commands in the client I don't know about?

It's an in-client thing. You just type a colon with the main map-view focused to enter console commands.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:10 am

I killed the client, put the directories back again, relaunched the client, and brought the same hearthling back. It had been logged out in a location with two icons visible.

Now, with the old .data directory (first created in 2021) I see no icons.

I'll leave this situation in place for a while AFK - I've set a timer for 1 hr.

If the icons don't reappear in that hour, I'll save my map, kill the client, switch back to the newer .data, and reimport tha map.

I expect that this will solve the problem.

Thank you.

(p.s. I'll post the results in this thread whether or not this works.)
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:14 am

loftar wrote:
xyzzy57 wrote:Is that a java console thing, or are there a set of : commands in the client I don't know about?

It's an in-client thing. You just type a colon with the main map-view focused to enter console commands.

Interestingly, :stats got me "Index 1 out of bounds for length 1"

Yes, actually, I can break *anything* !
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 am

xyzzy57 wrote:
loftar wrote:

Interestingly, :stats got me "Index 1 out of bounds for length 1"

Yes, actually, I can break *anything* !

Typing ":stats on" worked rather better.
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:22 am

xyzzy57 wrote:(p.s. I'll post the results in this thread whether or not this works.)

Icons did not appear after an hour with the old directory.

I've switched back to the new .haven, and am now in the process of importing my old map.

I should be able to keep playing with the official client until the ender client is available to me again. The addition of the "display quality on items" toggle (not available on the official client, back when I first decided to use Ender, IIRC) is a big help.
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:28 am

One weird thing - after importing my map, large chunks of it did NOT appear to be there.

In particular, simply dragging the map focus a little way towards an area I traverse regularly showed much of it as apparently undiscovered.

When I started clicking on flags, surrounding map would appear very slowly. After doing this for a while, I re-centered the map on my current location, and again dragged it towards the same nearby location.

That area is now visible.

My best guess is that there's a slow asynchronous process after importing a map.

I wish I'd thought to use :stats on

It's _quite_ slow - I'd sat idle for a while after importing the map before deciding to check that the import had worked as expected.

FWIW, my exported map file was 96M. I imagine that's on the large side.
xyzzy57

Postby springyb » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

I was having this same issue and I don't use custom clients. Removing my data folder and letting everything reload did end up fixing it.
springyb

Previous

Return to Bugs