Sound is laggy/stuttering

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Sound is laggy/stuttering

Postby loftar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Ragnar214 wrote:I'm thinking that maybe the Audio Files themselves may be to blame?

Nah, if something intrinsic to the client or the resources were to blame, then clearly everyone would have the problem, not just some people.

Ragnar214 wrote:You say "It doesn't change the total CPU usage of the audio thread, only how much audio it buffers at a time"

What I meant is that it doesn't change the total amount of work that the client has to do to produce the playable audio per unit of time, but only affects in how large batches it does that work.

To take your excellent analogy further, it would be like you were filling beer bottles with beer, and only get 6 bottles per minute from the bottle machine, it would be the question of whether you accumulate 10 or 20 bottles to fill at a time. Regardless of which you choose, you still only fill 6 bottles per minute over time, though. ^^

Ragnar214 wrote:I'm guessing the :audiobuf 1024 (1024 is the MB in memory set aside to buffer audio correct)?

The number is the number of samples to produce in one batch, so 1024 is (1024 samples * 2 audio channels * 2 bytes per sample = 4096 bytes). Since the sample rate is 44.1 kHz, 1024 samples means one buffer stretches ~23 ms, or that the client submits audio to the driver in ~43 buffers/second. It is good for audio latency if the number of audio-buffers/second isn't much less than the FPS the client renders in, so that audio intended for a certain frame doesn't have to wait for the last submitted buffer to finish playing, which is why I'm keen on keeping the audio buffer size at 1024 samples.

Ragnar214 wrote:I also don't see how an audio thread can affect the visuals and graphics.

Well, if the audio thread is using 100% CPU, then it could certainly starve the rendering threads for time. On the other hand, if you have a quad core CPU, there should be cores left over for those anyway, so yes, it does sound a bit strange.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ragnar214 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:08 am

Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying. I learned something new for programming :D.

Well the new update helped a bunch, whatever you did. The thing is my CPU is hyperthreaded. So it used to use all 8 cores displayed in the task manager, at probably 70-75% each. That doesn't seem to be happening now.

I do notice that the fan still speeds up on the CPU and more CPU is used when I am

A. Landscaping or Ploughing.

B. Laying Stone.

Mainly any sort of landscaping seems to use alot of CPU and drops the FPS a bit.
Ragnar214

Postby Granger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Looks like map updates are expensive.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby xAwsomedavex » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:19 am

I no longer have this issue after getting a better PC. I used to get the stuttering on my Core2Duo machine, but not anymore with my i5.

OLD Specs:
Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0Ghz
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 5570

NEW Specs:
Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz
8GB DDR3 (Same ram that I used on the older machine)
GTX 560 TI 2GB

I think the main advantage is the processor. The jump from 2 cores to now having 4 cores might have fixed my problem. Well altogether my new machine is much better now in terms of performance, my old 5570 couldn't even max the game comfortably. The 560TI doesn't break a sweat :D
Winning isn't everything.
xAwsomedavex

Postby loftar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 am

xAwsomedavex wrote:I think the main advantage is the processor. The jump from 2 cores to now having 4 cores might have fixed my problem. Well altogether my new machine is much better now in terms of performance, my old 5570 couldn't even max the game comfortably. The 560TI doesn't break a sweat :D

I think it is more likely, as expounded on above, that the upgrade also brought with it different sound hardware which required a different driver, and that that is the actual cause for improvement as far as it comes to audio behavior.
loftar

Postby xAwsomedavex » Sun May 01, 2016 12:09 am

loftar wrote:
xAwsomedavex wrote:I think the main advantage is the processor. The jump from 2 cores to now having 4 cores might have fixed my problem. Well altogether my new machine is much better now in terms of performance, my old 5570 couldn't even max the game comfortably. The 560TI doesn't break a sweat :D

I think it is more likely, as expounded on above, that the upgrade also brought with it different sound hardware which required a different driver, and that that is the actual cause for improvement as far as it comes to audio behavior.

You must be correct because my old Dell motherboard had ADI Integrated audio and my current Asus B85M-E motherboard has Realtek audio.
Winning isn't everything.
xAwsomedavex

Postby loftar » Sun May 01, 2016 12:12 am

That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm correct, though. Correlation vs. causation and all that. :)

If anything, I'd have expected Realtek to be worse, going by the previous reports.
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 am

Realtek implementations are up to the motherboard manufacturer. Some perform significantly better than others.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sun May 01, 2016 2:37 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Realtek implementations are up to the motherboard manufacturer. Some perform significantly better than others.

I can't say I know about that, but the drivers are the same, aren't they? It is the drivers that I suspect first and foremost, as mentioned previously.
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm

No. The company manufactures several pieces that can be combined together to go from simply have a DAC and basic signal processing to full scale hardware acceleration. Specifics on it aren't accessible by the general public, unfortunately, and require signing and NDA blah blah blah. The driver that can be downloaded off their site is very basic and they don't guarantee it to actually work in any systems as it is just a base for the engineers to work from for further supporting the hardware that is implemented.

I will note that it could quite possibly be the driver implementation that is at fault. My old computer had huge issues with sound in both Haven and Salem, my current one didn't have any problems with sound until you added the sound buffer changes. I didn't really mess around with changing buffer sizes as I've just been playing very casually and intermittently this world.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs