Plowed tiles spreads like other biomes.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Plowed tiles spreads like other biomes.

Postby ricky » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:38 pm

While yeah plowing tiles is tedium, and while yeah muh realism, having plowed tiles act as these static objects isn't reasonable either.

Static fields basically negate any farming technology expansion beyond one metal plow and a naked alt. Horse driven plows could be a thing, etc.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm

ricky wrote:Horse driven plows could be a thing, etc.

Yeah, why don't we have this already?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sMartins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm

jorb wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:Was this intended? This farm plot was on claimed land, and your bug fix comment suggested that this would only happen if it were unclaimed.

Hopefully fixed the long-standing bug by which plowed tiles would sometimes spread. This means, instead, that foliage tiles will now spread over plowed land. It may, thus, be a good idea to pave around your unclaimed fields.

Terrain decay happens regardless of claim. I was misinformed. Yes, it was intended. Corrected patch note.

Yeah for me it's even worse now lol ... can you make that this doesn't happen on claimed land at least?

Amanda44 wrote:I'll be honest, I wish you could have just made a solution where neither happened, I didn't want to have to pave in all my crop areas, I liked having a natural look to it.
Maybe introduce hedgerows and the spread of the biome stops on either side?

Same thing ... I was asking to solve this to not have paved tiles, but now is even worse ... and paving would be mandatory.
My crops are slowly vanishing ....
P.S. Wait maybe we can use grass to stop the spreading ... I'll test it ...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Last time I looked at the fields across the road from my house when they were left fallow for the year, they reverted back to grasslands pretty fast. Weeds and windblown things first, grasses and other plants that propagate by runners by the end of the summer. So realistic? Yeah. Practical as a game mechanic? I'd rather not have to replow, but whatever. I'm assuming this creeps from the outside in, so no need to replow the entire field between plantings like in legacy.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Simply 'wall' the fields in with something that dosn't spread (pavement) and you should be good.

Thanks @devs for fixing this.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sMartins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:31 am

MagicManICT wrote:Last time I looked at the fields across the road from my house when they were left fallow for the year, they reverted back to grasslands pretty fast. Weeds and windblown things first, grasses and other plants that propagate by runners by the end of the summer. So realistic? Yeah. Practical as a game mechanic? I'd rather not have to replow, but whatever. I'm assuming this creeps from the outside in, so no need to replow the entire field between plantings like in legacy.

Yeah, but I mean, we have the claim ... the claim mechanics should mean that you are active in the world and you are taking care of your stuff .... so makes sense that they spread without a claim, but once you have one ( and you keep it active) all the decay related stuff and boring maintance should be gone.
Clearly devs have some problems with spreading biomes priorities and claim ... that probably has something in it that make more difficult than decay.
Tbh at this point it was better before, cause now there is no way to keep your crops without horrible paving ground around.
sMartins

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 am

sMartins wrote:it was better before

No, it wasn't: Artificial biomes spreading on their own was breaking suspension of disbelief.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sMartins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:50 am

Granger wrote:
sMartins wrote:it was better before

No, it wasn't: Artificial biomes spreading on their own was breaking suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, that's true ... but in practice was better, I mean was possible to have crops without paving ... you just needed to wait months before plowing ... waiting for all the decay hits where you flattened the land. Now we can only have paved crops that ìs not optimal too, I'd say, with your suspension of disbelief thingy.
sMartins

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am

Think of it as a manicured garden such as you'd find at a rich palatial manor instead of random farm in the middle of nowhere, and paving feels perfectly natural.
MagicManICT

Postby Cajoes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 am

As this bug has finally been resolved (and I will admit I am curious what exactly was causing it since nothing in the code allegedly indicated it initially according to devs), and the bug reporting forum is not the place for discussing feature implementations and changes (thats what critique and ideas are for) I ask for the thread to be closed, locked and possibly dropped into the gimmungagap for good measure.
Cajoes

Previous

Return to Bugs