Pclaims used for trolling

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Pclaims used for trolling

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:07 pm

jorb wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I propose that when this "bug" is addressed, all 5x5 claims over a few days old are deleted.

Haha, lol. You have to be kidding me.

... can you not imagine the class eight shitstorm that'd get us?

Sure. Less than the class 15 shit storm for nuking a city, class 50 shit storm for the fate system, and class 500 shit storm for charging $$$.

From my humble perspective, I guessed your default position was to make good gameplay decisions without much regard to the likelihood of player base complaints.

Should claims be recognized as an offensive weapon and not simply the basis to provide a semblance of control of your property? I don't think so. Are the plethora of 5x5s (over 3 days old) in the world there for the sole purpose of fucking with people, or defending being fucked with? Most likely.

Still, I see some validity to the argument that 5x5s shouldn't be deleted. Even if a vast majority of the 5x5s that currently exist are being used for the sole purpose of tr0lling, there may be a few out there that are actually being used to claim land. A whole 25 tiles of glorious land.

I absolutely admit bias in this case, as we have been on the receiving end of some vclaim immune 5x5s.

I'll live with the annoying 5x5s currently dropped to troll our city, and just ram them. Even so, can't help but wish there were some easier way to deal with them.
Last edited by Robben_DuMarsch on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Avu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm

How long does it take for a troll claim to decay if not actively supplied with lp?
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Leafstab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Avu wrote:How long does it take for a troll claim to decay if not actively supplied with lp?

I think loftar stated 2 months.
Leafstab

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 pm

I think the easiest method to sort this is a minor but not exactly trivial placement cost like jorb mentioned. People are still gonna use Pclaims for trolling, but it shouldn't be free to troll like it effectively is right now.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:40 pm

jorb wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I propose that when this "bug" is addressed, all 5x5 claims over a few days old are deleted.

Give everyone a week notice before turning it on, and nobody will get all up in arms other than just fake nerd rage. it's not a half bad idea, as anyone putting a claim down for legitimate purposes will likely expand it in short order. What else can you do with a 5x5 claim when a full tile is already occupied by the marker?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Procne » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 pm

So now people will put 5x6 troll claims
Procne

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Yeah, but do you need to keep that troll claim up that long? Personally, I think claims should gradually build in length of existence directly proportional to their size, and the only reason to keep a claim active for 60 days is to satisfy those that might need to take time away from the computer for more than a few weeks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
jorb wrote:

Give everyone a week notice before turning it on, and nobody will get all up in arms other than just fake nerd rage. it's not a half bad idea, as anyone putting a claim down for legitimate purposes will likely expand it in short order. What else can you do with a 5x5 claim when a full tile is already occupied by the marker?

I agree with this. I also note that we once had a fairly adequate method of dealing with these sorts of claims through expanding vclaim coverage.

We no longer have that. Although not absolutely related to the topic title, I think there is a tangential argument that vclaims should once again be allowed to remove older pclaims they touch.

The risk of groups using vclaims as an offensive weapon to declaim people's property could easily be mitigated by individual players simply covering their pclaims with vclaims.

Surely, that minor cost and possibility to abuse claim mechanics is a lesser threat and much further removed from these very obvious (and very often utilized) applications of pclaims to troll.

If a city with enough authority refuses to recognize the property rights of an individual pclaim within its territory, it's hard pressed to imagine them changing their minds simply because the pclaim predates their refusal to recognize.

Tl;Dr Understandable if you don't want to remove troll claims. Please allow vclaims to remove troll claims as in Haven 1, or reduce ram cost to something trivial.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:stuff

Two things, though:

Procne wrote:So now people will put 5x6 troll claims

2. You can already get rid of those troll claims with a battering ram and vandalism.
MagicManICT

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Robben DuMarsch wrote:Tl;Dr Understandable if you don't want to remove troll claims. Please allow vclaims to remove troll claims as in Haven 1, or reduce ram cost to something trivial.

Issue isn't that troll claims can't be removed. It's that troll claims are too hard to remove.

We are stuck in a situation wherein we need to weigh the ease of placing a claim with the potential for abusing claims. If claims are moderately priced but still require the "defenders" to blow a bunch of hardened leather on an easily destroyed ram, claims can still be effective troll tactics.

Claims that are moderately priced but more easily removed would be far less effective troll devices, with the added benefit of being able to remove the currently existing troll claims.
Robben_DuMarsch

Previous

Return to Bugs