Animal bashing structures unnecessarily

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Animal bashing structures unnecessarily

Postby Maldazar123 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:24 am

Hey, copy/pastaing this from a thread I posted it in auf Inn of Brodgar as suggested by another user. Not sure if a bug or design, but reporting either way just in case.

So I was just doing one of the many taming sessions of an aurochs in my base, and ran away a bit to put guards on after the aggro timer ticked down. While it was chasing me, the aurochs gently touched the side of a chicken coop and proceeded to bash the shit out of it despite there being an easily navigable path to get to me. Even when I ran right up to it, then behind it so there was nothing at all between us, it kept bashing the coop until it was destroyed.

I thought this was to prevent trapping, not just to destroy anything in a linear path between player and animal? Also, should it not check if a direct path becomes available during the bashing?

As a sidenote, none of our chickens or eggs popped out when the coop was destroyed, not sure if bug or intended (coulda sworn they used to).
Maldazar123

Re: Animal bashing structures unnecessarily

Postby CaptainMidget » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:12 am

Would you mind testing this with a bit of dried palisaded wall?

This is somewhat intended from what the devs have said in the patch notes; "Animals should now wreck shit if boxed in" but its ridiculously over-toned. Your best bet is to clear a straight path with nothing around for your next taming session.
CaptainMidget

Postby fuinharlz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:12 am

I still think they should be able only to break stockpiles, building signs and wooden fences. I soubt ppl will build lot of chicken coops to box an animal. And if they start breaking dried palisades/bwalls... ppl can just use that instead of rams :P
fuinharlz

Postby lachlaan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:17 am

Been lucky so far with nothing bashed, but please address this asap as it needs to be polished for newbies to tame and for people to not get poop'd on via aggroing their tamed/in-taming critters.

I was assuming the bash switch is on for every AI cycle where it couldn't find within its max visibility range, then turned off once a path was found. Boxed I might mean even a large pen, but definetly not 20 logs in their path with lots of pathing options around.
lachlaan

Postby Turtlesir » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am

fuinharlz wrote:I still think they should be able only to break stockpiles, building signs and wooden fences. I soubt ppl will build lot of chicken coops to box an animal. And if they start breaking dried palisades/bwalls... ppl can just use that instead of rams :P

people would just build palisaded kill boxes preventing animals from running. better to improve pathfinding, but we know how much loftar loves coding that stuff...
Turtlesir

Postby fuinharlz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Turtlesir wrote:
fuinharlz wrote:I still think they should be able only to break stockpiles, building signs and wooden fences. I soubt ppl will build lot of chicken coops to box an animal. And if they start breaking dried palisades/bwalls... ppl can just use that instead of rams :P

people would just build palisaded kill boxes preventing animals from running. better to improve pathfinding, but we know how much loftar loves coding that stuff...

I don't think palisade killboxes would really work. Palis take some time to dry, and if not claimed, they decay, or other ppl can just bash them without a problem. If claimed, animals don't respawn inside claims.
fuinharlz

Postby Karede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:19 pm

CaptainMidget wrote:Would you mind testing this with a bit of dried palisaded wall?

Had someone aggro the boar I was taming overnight, and there are no holes in my base
So it's probably fine
Karede

Postby Turtlesir » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:49 pm

fuinharlz wrote:I don't think palisade killboxes would really work. Palis take some time to dry, and if not claimed, they decay, or other ppl can just bash them without a problem. If claimed, animals don't respawn inside claims.

just build one on your claim and lead/run from animals in.
Turtlesir

Postby Kearn » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:28 pm

a few days ago i shot a boar near my house and ran back towards the door from the left, when i came back outside the boar was still right at the door but an oven a ways to the right of the door had been smashed for no discernable reason
Kearn

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 am

I've noticed -- oh how I have -- the same thing.

Will look at it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Bugs