Symbel Crafting Menu Typo

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Symbel Crafting Menu Typo

Postby SpakyPD » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 am

Not super important, was just updating the wiki and noticed:

Menu item in the craft menu is "Symbel- & Tablewear". I think the "-" is not needed?
Also repeated in the description tooltip.
SpakyPD

Re: Symbel Crafting Menu Typo

Postby rye130 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:33 am

Please fix! Considering drowning my character and never subbing again because of this grave oversight!
rye130

Postby SpakyPD » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:37 am

I don't know if I should make a separate thread for this but:

Cake Knife should probably be moved into the "Forks, Knives & Cutlery" sub-menu.
SpakyPD

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:48 am

To all of us who write civilized languages with civilized orthography it is as it should be. If it doesn't mesh with your conceptions of how common tradespeak should be formated, well. Your problem. ¦]
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SpakyPD » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 am

I'm not one with much knowledge of languages, so I thought I'd do a quick search to try and figure out what I had missed about this.

I read through the Wikipedia page on Symbel, and nothing seemed to jump out to justify the hyphen. However I was kind of confused to learn this part:
Eating and feasting were specifically excluded from symbel

Does that mean that hyphen is actually a subtraction or negative sign indicating that the items in that menu are specifically not meant to be used during Symbel?
SpakyPD

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 am

No, it is just a hyphenation aiming to join the words symbel and ware together. So instead of writing "Symbelware and tableware" I use, the more elegant, "Symbel- and tableware". This is uncontroversial in Swedish, and I see no reason why the construction couldn't work in English as well. I consider it well within my orthographic prerogative, if nothing else.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby SpakyPD » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am

Okay I understand now. Thanks for the lesson on hyphen use.

I guess all that's left to this thread is the comment about the Cake Knife.
SpakyPD

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:50 am

Fixed that on the dev server. Thanks.

jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:09 am

jorb wrote:So instead of writing "Symbelware and tableware" I use, the more elegant, "Symbel- and tableware". This is uncontroversial in Swedish, and I see no reason why the construction couldn't work in English as well.

It actually does work in English, and until recently, was taught in schools. Since it's been many, many moons since I took an Englilsh course, collegiate or prep school, I can't speak to how it is taught now.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Luckdemon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am

That's kind of frowned on in schools in the US now. Although it might be technically acceptable, professors don't like it. Same goes for contractions like can't, don't and won't. Professors have mixed feelings about the oxford comma.
jorb wrote:Figured it was just A FUKKEN SPRUCE CAP! ¦]
Luckdemon

Next

Return to Bugs