Mining natural gallery breaks suspension of disbelief

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Mining natural gallery breaks suspension of disbelief

Postby Granger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:48 pm

gallery.jpg
gallery.jpg (87.6 KiB) Viewed 926 times
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby VDZ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 am

What is the point of the natural gallery event anyways, design-wise? It destroys random rocks/ore through no fault of the player while also making it impossible to minesweeper the relevant area (and gives no indication what that area even is, further hindering the minesweeper mechanic), so unless its intent IS to interfere with minesweeper, it seems to exist only for aesthetics. And if it's actually having a negative impact on the atmosphere for players then it's counterproductive in that sense; wouldn't it make more sense to remove the event, then, if it's not relevant enough to spend dev resources to improve it?
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:09 am

I think you found the point there, and it's both parts what you suggest, VDZ, a means to break the tempo of the game, and as a "discovery event."

The problem is it needs to be developed further with some extras or something, at least. When spelunkers discover a new cavern, they usually find something unusual like delicate crystals and stuff that are extremely unstable and dissolve with just a minute change in atmospheric composition, such as a person simply exhaling in the air that hasn't been disturbed in centuries or longer. Then there's the really unusual like what was found in a Mexican mine a couple decades ago with gypsum crystals as big as a semi truck.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby NeoRed9 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:58 am

Doesn't seem like a big deal.
NeoRed9

Postby Alayah » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am

loftar wrote:Note that the idea is not that you "discover" a pre-existing gallery, but rather that the cave collapses some way ahead because of your digging.

In case of a collapse some material of the collapse should be left on the ground, right (ore, stone, dust)? Meters of solid rock wall just poofing isnt very immersive.
In case you are digging into preexisting not yet discovered caverns - which its probably a lot more exciting and i feel both modes should exist - it should not go into already mined out tiles.

I think the former could add some excitement because it saves you some mining time and helps with exploration. The latter case is nice because it opens a chance for some added discovery like special ore veins, giant geodes you can mine in, fossils or monsters.

Type of natural gallery could be tied to rock hardness. So for example with soft rock and coal especially stuff is more likely to collapse. With hard rock there is a higher chance for discoveries, offering a reward for digging through hard rock.
Alayah

Postby spavaloo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:15 am

loftar wrote:Note that the idea is not that you "discover" a pre-existing gallery, but rather that the cave collapses some way ahead because of your digging.

That's not what the text of the experience says at all. I get the feeling this is a hand-wave nonsense explanation cooked up to cover for a poorly thought out mechanic.

Is it overly burdensome to have the gallery generation process check that the new gallery doesn't border existing open tiles? If so, say that instead of waffling around the issue.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby jorb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am

That's not my conception of it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am

jorb wrote:

That's not my conception of it.

Then please, please, pretty please, with cherry on top... convince loftar to change it from the current bastard (only the downsides of both views) to something that dosn't break immersion.

Simply because it would finally end my constant nagging about this (see here for some examples).
Granger

Postby MightySheep » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am

this cave gallery thing feels like someone tried to implement an idea of a minesweeper game but without really understanding how minesweeper actuall works

I bet jorb the kind of guy who when he plays minesweeper he just clicks wildly until he blow up, hes like "i like it when big sections open up cuz it make me feel like im winning. I know, ill implement this in haven, people will love it!"
MightySheep

Postby Granger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 pm

MightySheep wrote:this cave gallery thing feels like someone tried to implement an idea of a minesweeper game but without really understanding how minesweeper actuall works

Be happy about it. The minesweeper clearing thing would drive miners completely insane, wouldn't it?
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs