Boars and Animals Bashing Roads

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Boars and Animals Bashing Roads

Postby Onep » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:43 pm

If boars run into milestones, they'll bash it instead of pathing around it. A certain village was aggroing large amounts of boars and dragging them through our milestones.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Re: Boars and Animals Bashing Roads

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:37 pm

It is certainly not as easy as simply aggroing a boar and having it run into a milestone, though. Tried that, and the boar paths fine. Tried it while on horseback, and when I do the boar does fail the pathfinding, bouncing off the post, but it doesn't break the post.

Any secret sauce to this bug that I'm missing?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 pm

jorb wrote:Tried it while on horseback, and when I do the boar does fail the pathfinding, bouncing off the post, but it doesn't break the post.

jorb wrote:bouncing off the post

no, they just bash lol
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 pm

I would show you a video of the opposite. Not sure what I'm missing.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby ravenguard19 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 pm

jorb wrote:I would show you a video of the opposite. Not sure what I'm missing.

Your boar had not enough strenght, try higher ql one ¦]

Because we can and we will.... die!
ravenguard19

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Suspecting that pathfinding problem is due to inexact object coordinates. Will be fixed when floating point coordinates are introduced.

jorb

Postby lachlaan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 pm

Might I suggest that it's not that? Not sure how pathing works, but if it thought you were snapped to grid rather than on a pixel on a tile, would it not just path to one of the tile corners near you? The behaviour seems more consistent with them thinking "I have no clue where the fuck they are exactly, but I know the shortest path around the obstacle between us, i'll go there". As in, "Oh , can't get straight to it, gotta go around the edge of the cliff first", or in this case "gotta go around the edge of that horse first" >.> Could be wrong, troll away if that's the case.
lachlaan

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 pm

lachlaan wrote:Might I suggest that it's not that? Not sure how pathing works, but if it thought you were snapped to grid rather than on a pixel on a tile, would it not just path to one of the tile corners near you?

I don't quite know what you mean by this, but it sounds different from how it works. The problem is that object coordinates are integers (not the same as tiles, mind you), and therefore object movement is "internally jerky" as compared to what the pathfinder looks at.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby lachlaan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:45 pm

What i mean is that, as long as an animal thinks it has a clear path to you, even if your position is jerky and skips a beat every now and then, it will path normally to said position. The only time it goes angry sledgehammer mode is when it can't figure out a way around some obstacles that i think are just treated poorly by the pathing algorithm.

Early world 8, animals wouldn't know what to do about shallow water, and just wait an extra few AI cycles till they figured it out, or worse case scenario wait till you hit land to even move to you.

As it stands, if the horse is the only common element to a lot of the pathing issues, then I think the new hitbox mechanics would be a more likely culprit, there's no reason for an animal to know how to path to your integer coords when off the horse but not when on the horse. I figure it just can't figure out how to be in a spot adjacent to you and have a clear shot. So it thinks, okay, if i sneak up behind him, there's that horse's ass shaped cliff in my way, let's path in a straight line to the edge of that obstacle. And they do do that with cliff edges and stuff, just kind of get angry that they have to go around, feel extra hindred? idk why, but that's when i've noticed they decide to bash things. When the end goal is somehow obscured by a different hitbox, they consider the first obstacle they meet to be the "main" obstacle, and bash through stuff they can easily path around, except they don't want to path around it cause they only have a directional aim, not a fixed spot they can get to.
lachlaan

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm

Well yes, there is an issue when you're mounted, but that's a different thing. That will be fixed shortly. There are a fair amount of occurrences where pathfinding fails even when you're not mounted, however.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Return to Bugs