how do you force Haven to use dedicated graphics card

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

how do you force Haven to use dedicated graphics card

Postby DeadlyPencil » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:09 am

hi,

Hopefully someone has solved this problem. We have a laptop that has both a integrated graphics and a dedicated graphics card (nvidia).

Supposedly you can just add programs to nvidias control panel to force it to be used instead of the integrated graphics. however this is not the case with java programs as that only works with exe's not jar files.

Has anyone run into this situation and know a work around?
DeadlyPencil

Re: how do you force Haven to use dedicated graphics card

Postby mobiusoneffxi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:28 am

I have this problem. Right click on the windows start menu in the corner.select device manager. Go to display adapters. Disable whatever is onboard. Run game
mobiusoneffxi

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 am

The executable is "java.exe," "javaw.exe," or "javaws.exe." Haven uses Java Web Start--javaws.exe. Most of the modded clients use the standard edition launcher, java.exe or javaw.exe (pretty much the same thing; differences are technical as far as most users are concerned).

There's another thread here on this. I'll see if I can find it and link it here. I don't use Nvidia cards much, so never do recall what needs to be done.

edit: to note, the above post is really the best thing, but do it through your BIOS, not in Windows, so it won't even boot and save you some power and boot time.

2nd edit: ok, found one of the links I was looking for. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50999#p674822 It has a screenshot for those that aren't familiar with doing this, but otherwise it's exactly as I stated.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DeadlyPencil » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

i might try the bios one a little later.

we did do the steps in the other post u showed. the game will open up but with 10 error messages saying it cant find intel OpenGL. so because its saying that error message, one could only assume that its at least attempting to use the onboard video, even if it uses the dedicated card eventually.

supposedly the onboard video drivers are up to date, so iam not sure why it cant find openGL...
DeadlyPencil

Postby stickman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:55 pm

I now have the same problem. I just got a new computer yesterday but I get an error when starting haven (from website or custom client)

"can't find the name of intel icd opengl driver". DeadlyPencil is also getting this exact same error when I talked to him (he Is using a laptop though a NVidia card)

I have desktop with win 10 a Z170-E Asus motherboard and a GTX 1070 video card. If there is an onboard graphics card its disabled because it doesn't show up anywhere at all.

Things I tried:
-Added Javaw.exe to my NVIDIA control centre under 3d settings and any other java.exe I could find.
-changed a bunch of settings in the bios like setting my graphics to use my PCIE slot etc instead of auto detect
-under device manager I do not have any other adapter for display, just my NVidia 1070 is the only entry

I tried installing ASUS and intel generic drivers for intel integrated graphics but it just errors and says "your system does not meet the minimum requirements".
stickman

Postby jorb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 am

Had this issue myself. There is a settings screen for it somewhere in the depths of windoze. Not sure why it doesn't automatically set the dedicated card.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:59 pm

As far as I'm aware, this is ONLY a problem with Nvidia graphics when there is an existing integrated graphics processor enabled in BIOS. Best solution is to just disable the integrated graphics.

Only caveat I'd say to this: I haven't looked at the DX12 specs, but one of the big things with Mantle, and if I recall correctly was being added to DX12, was using all GPUs that supported DX12 as if they were wired together with SLI/Crossfire, except they could be any make/model as long as it supports DX12. I'm not sure if it made it into the final specs or not, but it was working during beta. (Not aware of any DX12 compatible integrated GPUs other than AMD as of yet.)
Last edited by MagicManICT on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarify my post
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 pm

One thing that works at least in windows is to disable your integrated graphics card completely.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Return to Bugs