Bug: After a backstab I am unable to go down tower stairs

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Bug: After a backstab I am unable to go down tower stairs

Postby Ronin30 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Tower in question is on former friends claim.
Criminals acts on
Unable to descend or ascend tower stairs.
Error Message "That land is owned by"

No strength to bash hf // no lp to buy trespassing.

In all other forms of houses, you can ascend and descend stairs without needing to perform a crime minus the initial trespassing scent to get off my hearthfire.
Ronin30

Re: Bug: After a backstab I am unable to go down tower stair

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Keep the drama out of the Bugs forum, please. Congrats on a 24 hour ban.

Ronin30 wrote:In all other forms of houses, you can ascend and descend stairs without needing to perform a crime minus the initial trespassing scent to get off my hearthfire.

Will agree there is a lack of consistency here (and thus a bug), but that still leaves you with being unable to leave a house or open a gate in a fence/wall if it exists. What difference will letting you use the stairs make if you can't break your HF or get around the other obstacles?

One could argue that there should be an option for random wilderness spawning from the character selection/log in. If memory serves correctly, this was how it worked before anyone could walk through hearthfires. You'd log in, be forced to spawn at hearthfire because you were on a claim you didn't have permissions on. If the hearthfire was also on the same claim, you'd have to randomly port in the wilderness. It was changed because people were using hearthfires and claims to exploit and grief other players. (not sure if the random spawn trigger still exists, but may not show because of the HF/claim changes.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Ronin30 wrote:In all other forms of houses, you can ascend and descend stairs without needing to perform a crime minus the initial trespassing scent to get off my hearthfire.

We'll fix this.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm fairly sure there's no difference between a stone tower and any other form of house in this respect. The reason for the failure to traverse the stairs turned out to be the lack of the Trespassing skill, which makes the character unable to leave the requisite scent for the traversal, but this is the same for other forms of houses. Not sure what caused you to be able to traverse those stairs, but there's probably some other explanation, like perhaps the claim not being filled yet, or something to that effect.

That being said, the fact that characters can become totally "trapped" inside houses in this way is potentially a problem. Will consider some reasonable for of fix.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:18 pm

loftar wrote:I'm fairly sure there's no difference between a stone tower and any other form of house in this respect. The reason for the failure to traverse the stairs turned out to be the lack of the Trespassing skill, which makes the character unable to leave the requisite scent for the traversal, but this is the same for other forms of houses. Not sure what caused you to be able to traverse those stairs, but there's probably some other explanation, like perhaps the claim not being filled yet, or something to that effect.

That being said, the fact that characters can become totally "trapped" inside houses in this way is potentially a problem. Will consider some reasonable for of fix.

What about being allowed to do anything on the tile your hearth fire is on? This way if you're stuck like this you can destroy your own hearth fire.

Also there needs to be some other restriction instead of strength, to destroying your own hearth fire, and it should take that much stamina.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 pm

The option to declaim the fire, like we can do with a claim, should do the trick.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am

Does entering a house still leave tresspassing scent? This is important because with current visitor mechanic lot of people rely on setups where gates are kept open and there's house where to run into if you're being chased. Visitor, at least before patch, made it impossible to chase inside house.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby zebratul » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:24 am

vatas wrote:Does entering a house still leave tresspassing scent? This is important because with current visitor mechanic lot of people rely on setups where gates are kept open and there's house where to run into if you're being chased. Visitor, at least before patch, made it impossible to chase inside house.

Or you can still evict-knock your opponent of he decides to run after you with the debuff.
zebratul

Return to Bugs