Wheelbarrow weight

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Wheelbarrow weight

Postby Damon_Cooper » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Seems like there is some error in the value of WB weight.
Even with 500 STR moving with WB in your hands is too slow.
Wouldn't post if it wasn't so ridiculous that carrying a boat with WB in it is much faster then only WB, so it looks like a bug.
Enjoyment's alternative account
Damon_Cooper

Re: Wheelbarrow weight

Postby Enjoyment » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

still in game, so I hope Jorbtar will take a look in thier (his?) debugging session.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

Will look at it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am

Damon_Cooper wrote:Even with 500 STR moving with WB in your hands is too slow.

You mean carrying? We made it slower so that pushing the wheelbarrow wouldn't be slower than carrying it. Loaded boats as carrying trays are arguably a problem in their own right, but I'm not entirely sure how that should be adressed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Potjeh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 pm

jorb wrote:Loaded boats as carrying trays are arguably a problem in their own right, but I'm not entirely sure how that should be adressed.

Make it possible to hearth with a cart.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Enjoyment » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 pm

jorb wrote:
Damon_Cooper wrote:Even with 500 STR moving with WB in your hands is too slow.

You mean carrying? We made it slower so that pushing the wheelbarrow wouldn't be slower than carrying it. Loaded boats as carrying trays are arguably a problem in their own right, but I'm not entirely sure how that should be adressed.

Yeap. Carrying wheelbarrow in hands. It is currently not affected by STR (but all other things are (logs, boats, containers). And there is no difference in speed between loaded and empty WB. And the main "buggy side" is loading WB into rowboat and carrying this rowboat over your had (with high enough STR) will have an effect (increased speed).
So:
1. Have 10 STR and carry (empty)boat - you move slow.
1.1. Have 200 STR and carry (empty)boat - you move fast.
2. Have 10 STR and carry WB - you move slow.
2.1. Have 200 STR and carry WB - you move slow.
3. Have 200 STR and carry boat with WB - you move fast.
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 pm

jorb wrote:We made it slower so that pushing the wheelbarrow wouldn't be slower than carrying it. Loaded boats as carrying trays are arguably a problem in their own right, but I'm not entirely sure how that should be adressed.

This.

jorb

Postby Enjoyment » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 pm

jorb wrote:
jorb wrote:We made it slower so that pushing the wheelbarrow wouldn't be slower than carrying it. Loaded boats as carrying trays are arguably a problem in their own right, but I'm not entirely sure how that should be adressed.

This.

I understood you, but it seems kinda odd when char with 500 STR can carry ALL the things even running, but turn into a turtle once he picks up an empty WB (not biggest thing among other). So maybe you can just buff pushing speed with STR increase instead of removing its influence in carrying?
UPD: And also, may you reconsider your decision at all? It looks pretty normal to me if some guy with 500 STR won't bother with pushing something and instead just grab it and run with it? So weak chars still will benefit from using it as intended but overpowered chars will benefit from carrying.
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:44 pm

TBH, carrying such things is quite awkward. If it has a wheel or can be easily drug... why bother picking it up? (Aye, game mechanics dictate some need to carry wheelbarrows, but not for very long at once.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:19 pm

MagicManICT wrote:TBH, carrying such things is quite awkward. If it has a wheel or can be easily drug... why bother picking it up? (Aye, game mechanics dictate some need to carry wheelbarrows, but not for very long at once.)

Try to take a stockpile of something from L5 to the upper level. It is super annoying - both crawling 10 tiles on 1st speed while carrying or putting it on the ground, pushing 10 tiles and picking up again.
And, if you already have to pick it up and you strong as bull, would you pull it on ground to push 2 steps to pick it up again or just make those 2 steps carrying it?
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Next

Return to Bugs