QoL bug (disconnects when you drop dirt)

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: QoL bug (disconnects when you drop dirt)

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:04 am

Fostik wrote: I am not doing nothing bad.

Yes, what you're doing is bad, even if it's unintentional. it's not going to get you thrown out of the game, not get your account blocked or banned, but will cause you and everyone else headaches.

Think of it like this. It's like driving down the highway. When there is no traffic, nobody but the cops will care if you are going at 200 kmh. If there is heavy traffic, everyone cares if you move too fast. The problem with sending data to the server is that you, as a player, probably won't know how busy the server actually is. By sending traffic quickly, you risk a collision, the resulting lag, and possibly other problems. Be a kind netizen and don't abuse the server.

If the standard client needs to get some code added to help with this, then so be it. If custom clients need to add their own code to limit how quickly you can dump your inventory multiple times, then so be it. Every multiplayer game in existence nowadays contains such code simply to prevent people from hacking or crashing servers.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Fostik » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 am

Guys, i am doing INGAME actions and the game thinks i am a BOTTER, this is wrong.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am

Fostik wrote:Guys, i am doing INGAME actions and the game thinks i am a BOTTER, this is wrong.

And this is why it is so difficult to distinguish between real players and scripts. This is all a script to play a game does--in game actions. The server can't tell the difference.

What client are you using? Is it an action other than what is supported by the standard client? If so, and it decreases clicks or other user actions that you'd have to do in the standard release, then it's automation no matter how you look at it. Are you wrong for using it? No. Should you be aware of what your chosen client is doing? Probably.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennesss » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:33 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Fostik wrote:Guys, i am doing INGAME actions and the game thinks i am a BOTTER, this is wrong.

And this is why it is so difficult to distinguish between real players and scripts. This is all a script to play a game does--in game actions. The server can't tell the difference.

What client are you using? Is it an action other than what is supported by the standard client? If so, and it decreases clicks or other user actions that you'd have to do in the standard release, then it's automation no matter how you look at it. Are you wrong for using it? No. Should you be aware of what your chosen client is doing? Probably.
I had to look this up because I refused to believe that default client wouldn't have such a basic feature and you're correct, drop all is a custom client feature.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Granger wrote:It's not a bug as it was explicitely added to deal with people who knowingly ran code that brought the server to a crawl for everyone, IIRC.

If somebody wanted to lag server, some simple ratelimit like this wouldn't prevent them from doing it.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby rye130 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:28 pm

It seems the issue is that there is no way for a client to transfer multiple items into/out of a stockpile with a single server call, which is something you can do with standard inventories. This means there's more way for custom clients to support this frequent use case without spamming the server with redundant calls. Probably something loftar should look at since many players have run into this issue before.
rye130

Previous

Return to Bugs