Metallurgy Seems to get Worse Results

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Metallurgy Seems to get Worse Results

Postby Kazmeister » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Can someone please take another look at metallurgy? Before I got metallurgy, I was getting an average of 3 bars per smelter-load. Only once out of about 20 loads did I get no bars out of a load. Then I got metallurgy, and since then I’ve got 6 loads of no bars, 1 with one bar, and one with three.

I saw someone post something about how it seems like they don’t get nearly the advertised percentage of bars and they had “all the mining skills but deep delve” meaning they were at metallurgy and getting very poor results and everyone commented about how he got screwed by the rng, but this seems too consistent to be random. Getting metallurgy was basically like flipping a switch and going from decent results to terrible results, and it was immediate and persistent .

It’s possible the rng got me too, but seems unlikely.
Kazmeister

Re: Metallurgy Seems to get Worse Results

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Kazmeister wrote:Can someone please take another look at metallurgy? Before I got metallurgy, I was getting an average of 3 bars per smelter-load. Only once out of about 20 loads did I get no bars out of a load. Then I got metallurgy, and since then I’ve got 6 loads of no bars, 1 with one bar, and one with three.

I saw someone post something about how it seems like they don’t get nearly the advertised percentage of bars and they had “all the mining skills but deep delve” meaning they were at metallurgy and getting very poor results and everyone commented about how he got screwed by the rng, but this seems too consistent to be random. Getting metallurgy was basically like flipping a switch and going from decent results to terrible results, and it was immediate and persistent .

It’s possible the rng got me too, but seems unlikely.

RNG got you. Still unlikely

Buy yourself deep artifice and gg
discospaceman

Postby Headchef » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Small sample size, rng
Headchef

Postby Kazmeister » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Well I hope so. Time will tell I suppose.
Kazmeister

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 am

1. You never mention what ore you're smelting. Casseterite? Heavy Earth? Different ores have different smelting rates. Check the wiki for details.

2. Sample size matters. 20 loads isn't enough of a lot to make a deterministic guess as to the chance of an event when we're talking a 1:20 chance at best for some ores.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 am

A good guideline for 'large enough sample size' is ~100 positive results. I.e. once you get about a 100 bars out of your process (assuming each bar is an independent process), typical literature assumes you have a decent idea of the probability rate. I've actually had a smelter with 4 or 5 bars from heavy earth ore! It happens.
Kandarim

Postby Kazmeister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:47 am

It was chalcopyrite. I'm not a big believer in coincidence and when I do 20 loads over a couple days and get ~3 bars per load, and then I get metallurgy and immediately stop getting bars (same day, ore from same vein and almost same quality, no significant stat changes on the toon, same batch of coal) it makes me think maybe there's an issue. All that changed was getting metallurgy and then rates immediately went to shit. Maybe it was just horrible rng, but honestly I haven't tried smelting any more since I posted here as I didn't want to waste any more ore until I got deep artifice. I still think metallurgy may be wonky, but I got enough smelted before I picked it up to where I can afford to wait and accumulate 150k lp.

I know this isn't a big deal in the long run, or for mid-end game players who've gotten deep artifice, but I was just pointing out that there may be an issue.
Kazmeister

Postby loleznub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 am

I've had 5 full smelters of silvershine be completely empty in a row with deep artifice this world.

You're just getting unlucky. Be happy it's only happening to worthless low quality ore than precious ore / high quality stuff.
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 am

Kazmeister wrote: I'm not a big believer in coincidence and when I do 20 loads over a couple days and get ~3 bars per load, and then I get metallurgy and immediately stop getting bars (same day, ore from same vein and almost same quality, no significant stat changes on the toon, same batch of coal) it makes me think maybe there's an issue. All that changed was getting metallurgy and then rates immediately went to shit.

Despite what some things look like, coincidence happens. That's why it's so hard to separate some things, and why they teach statistics so hard in certain professions: to learn how to separate coincidence and causation. If you're not a math person, learning this stuff is going to be boring and tiring (or not... might be the one math thing you like), but it is learnable with just a basic knowledge of algebra.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Bugs