Butcher knife doesnt speed up castration?

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Butcher knife doesnt speed up castration?

Postby loleznub » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Butchers knife speeds up harvesting / slaughtering of animals, but not castration.

Didnt notice until now as I'm normally not paying attention to any of the animals during the very time-consuming process.
loleznub

Re: Butcher knife doesnt speed up castration?

Postby MrPunchers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 am

I'd imagine castrating an animal with a butchering knife wouldn't make it any faster.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby loleznub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 am

MrPunchers wrote:I'd imagine castrating an animal with a butchering knife wouldn't make it any faster.

I'd also imagine a butchers knife wouldn't speed up the slaughtering of an animal if it couldn\t also remove its bollocks. Arguebly, it's hardly to hack your way through the neck of an animal with the knife than it is to cut off some loosly attached skin..

But yet, it does. Thus it should also remove bollocks quicker.
loleznub

Postby pawnchito » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:31 am

Would be nice if it sped that action up.
pawnchito

Postby MrPunchers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 am

Castration is much more than blindly chopping their nuts off, a butchering knife wouldn't do it any faster.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby loleznub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 am

The game mechanics say differently.

I don't see anything else being required. If you want to RP it/make it "realistic", why don't you go beg the devs for Elastration instead and farm animals to aggro you once you attempt to slaughter them?
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 am

loleznub wrote:If you want to RP it/make it "realistic", why don't you go beg the devs for Elastration instead and farm animals to aggro you once you attempt to slaughter them?

Wasn't there a TED Talk or something with Mike Rowe* (of "Dirty Jobs") discussing why sheep ranchers, and most other livestock ranchers, don't use elastics to castrate? Despite the "requests" of PETA and other organizations to do so?

As a person who has spent time on the farm at calfing time, and well as helped slaughter a few animals, these are both completely wrong. One belief in slaughtering is to keep the animal calm so they don't panic, do it right, and the meat tastes better. A panicking animal makes the meat bad. (I believe that is also concerning lambs, but do you think a slaughterhouse would be able to operate quickly and efficiently if every steer went crazy just as it was to get slaughtered?) The reasoning is that massive amounts of hormones are released when the animal is panicked. These hormones aren't flavorful to humans, and so add a bad flavor. Yes, some animals will panic, and it can't be avoided.

*I included the YouTube link as I'm not sure what the accessiblity is internationally. It's been a while since I listened to it, but if memory serves, he commented on that episode, and it's been discussed in many other locations.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loleznub » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Then do tell me, how plunging the butchers knife into any animal in haven isn't going to make the animal "panic" especially when they sit there and watch me do it to all of thier babies on a daily basis?

My point is that haven isn't a realism simulator, and if the butchers knifes purpose is to speed up the slaughtering and harvesting of materials of animals, bollocks would most certainly fit in that spectrum.
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Castration is not the same as butchering, obviously. While you might be cutting meat off an animal, it is an operation, not chopping it up for food... obviously.

edit: I won't argue the point that castration should go faster. I don't deal with livestock... haven't in 3 worlds because I hate doing it. Assuming that "speeds up butchering" should apply to castration is reading a lot into the definition.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Dakkan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 am

MagicManICT wrote:I won't argue the point that castration should go faster.
Okay, except your post starts with an argument that it shouldn't?
Dakkan

Next

Return to Bugs