Cliffs across frozen water

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Cliffs across frozen water

Postby Agrik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm

When this was a water, it was only a steep slope.
Looks weird, though I understand the possible cause (ice counts as a type of land terrain).
0024_cut.png
0024_cut.png (139.56 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Screenshot was taken yesterday. Today it's water again probably.
Agrik

Re: Cliffs across frozen water

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:40 pm

My understanding is thus:

Cliffs are solely determined by the height difference between terrain. (It was, at one time, possible to build cliffs by dropping dirt so it'd merge into the tile increasing the difference. That was corrected so players can't create cliffs--potential exploits with it.) Since it's winter and the river/stream is frozen, it's just a cliff because there is no water there. When the river thaws, it should go back to being a "water climb," waterfall, or whatever you want to call it.

I may be wrong, but I'd say check back in a couple days after the river thaws and see what happens.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:27 pm

I think the real argument is that the water should be presented as a waterfall rather than a mere slope. In which case it would be quite reasonable to find a cliff behind it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Agrik » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 am

Yeah, I think I've got too used to see unreal water slopes as a norm... It's not an argument, it's a thing just waiting to be implemented. :D

It can be postponed until tweaking the world generator and creating the next world, if implementation in the current world would break too many routes. The waterfall shouldn't be passable at least from below. Passing from above probably should affect a boat like a vortex does.
Agrik

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 am

Would it be possible to have an "ice cliff" there as some waterfalls and rapids in extremely cold climates do in the winter once the streams completely freeze over? Could look cool if a yes.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Bugs